VMware Cloud Community
petervdb_hyperi
Contributor
Contributor

Monitoring DRBD/Heartbeat

Does Hyperic support DRBD/Heartbeat.
I have 2 servers with DRBD/Heartbeat on it. This is an active/passive setup. There is 1 partition with DRBD and MySQL uses this partition.
On a weekly basis we perform a switch over of the active node.
When the switch over is done, the partition on node A goes to standby and gets active on node B. When the partition is active on node B, MySQL gets started.

Is there a way in Hyperic to monitoring DRBD partitions and prevent getting false alarms when a partition transfers to another node?

I would like to get some recommendation before I start installing the agents on the 2 nodes.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi Peter,

Hyperic doesn't support monitoring DRBD and Heartbeat out of the box. But, please install Hyperic HQ 😉
I've created a basic Heartbeat plugin. Let me grab it out next week. Basically it's an SNMP plugin that will allow you to monitor some heartbeat metrics and probperties. It's easy to develop and customize your own plugin with Hyperic HQ.
Because I'm not familiar to DRBD I don't know how to monitor it.
So I'm not able to answer your second question.

Mirko
0 Kudos
petervdb_hyperi
Contributor
Contributor

Nagios has a script to monitor DRBD status.
I will ned to investigate how Hyperic responds when a partition disappears and becomes visible on the second node. 2 platforms need to be linked to each other and I don't know how to do this in Hyperic.
0 Kudos
Matt5D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My quick hack solution would be not to do that from an agent running on each partition, but write an Agent plug-in that watches them both as a single server from a third machine (can be same machine HQ server is on) and reports availability as the XOR of the two partitions.
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi peter,

I agree with Matt. Checking the filesystem from a Client is a good idea.
Another idea is to create a Platform service Process on your DRBD boxes, query the heartbeat processes and track heartbeat ha-log files.
You can also monitor heartbeat via SNMP. The attached Plugin might be a good starting point to put some more metrics and infos into it.

Mirko
0 Kudos