VMware Cloud Community
gnovak
Contributor
Contributor

Monitor log /var/log/messages

Hello!

I've been reading through forum posts and the test ride guide and haven't found an answer to this. If it is in front of my face and I missed it, oh well, show me the way!

I had my manager ask me if there was a way to monitor the log file /var/log/messages on an OpenSuse 10.2 Linux box. Is there a way to monitor a log like this and trigger an alert if there are FAILED actions in the log?

Most of the monitoring I am finding is for services that Hyperic is currently monitoring.

Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
gnovak
Contributor
Contributor

well I'm reading through the test ride guide again and I"m going to try this on /var/log/messages. We had some errors so I want to see if it will maybe find them. Is there any way to have this log tracking show something on the dashboard that an error has appeared in a log? or is it mostly alerting through email?
0 Kudos
gnovak
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, nevermind..I did it again. I answered my own question. Seems when I get stuck and post something I find the answer shortly after....blah....Ok, disregard...I think I got this one...I'm going to see what the logs tell me.
0 Kudos