VMware Cloud Community
markos_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Monitor Windows Scheduled tasks

Hi all

Is it possible to monitor an individual scheduled task on a windows Server/Workstation. I have been unable to locate any info on how this may be possible within Hyperic. As a reference I have found a product that does (ActiveXpertNetwork Monitor) but I would like to use only one monitoring tool.
My current thinking is to use the other product to monitor tasks and then send an alert to the HQ machine if a task fails.

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MarieMcGarry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Markos, I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm going to get someone more knowledgeable to respond. Then I'll reflect what we learn in our documentation, as appropriate.

m
0 Kudos
SLTB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The tool you mentioned only monitors the C:\WINDOWS\SchedLgU.Txt log file.
I'm sure you can find a way to do it in HQ
0 Kudos
MarieMcGarry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Markos, Here's what I learned.

HQ has a ability to monitor anything that runs as a Windows service, but we don't have explicit support for monitoring a Scheduled Task, which is a different beast. One suggestion was: "maybe the Windows event log can be scraped to look for a success or failure event related to the scheduled task. then configure an alert based on finding the matching log event." However, not having tried this, I have no idea what pitfalls might exist with this approach.

The general consensus among those I consulted was your need would best by satisfied by a new feature, explicitly designed to monitor scheduled tasks. I've passed this on to Product Management. Would be good to hear from other folks about the value of such a feature.

m
markos_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the comments.

I've been think about this and one possible work around that may work in my particular scenario is that the tasks that I want to monitor are all various vbs scripts. I'm not the worlds best scripter, but I'm sure it would be possible to get the script to write something into the windows event log (i.e Completed OK/Failed) given it actually runs (which is another item to monitor). From there it is my understanding that within Hyperic it is possible to monitor the windows event log.
Basically I could the check for the following:
Did the specific scheduled task run?
What was the outcome of the scheduled task (Completed/Failed).

You have my vote for a new feature.
0 Kudos
markos_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

That right, but you are able to define exactly what scheduled task you want to monitor and also setup actions on it last result i.e."Last Result" 0x0 = succeeded
0 Kudos