VMware Cloud Community
andynoon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Missing data points

I have on some, but not all, of my resources, a pattern where 4 datapoints are reported and then the 5th one is missing (shows up as gray in the Availability chart). I suspect it's something like the agent is running out of time to collect or something like that, but there aren't any error messages in the agent.log that indicate this. Does anyone have any ideas?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ama_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

What are the collection intervals that this metric is collecting at? Also what is the date range in the indicator chart?

The indicator charts by default show 60 even time slices for the date range you have defined. If you have it at the default of 8 hours each time slice is 8 minutes. If the metric you are looking at has a collection interval greater than what the time slice is showing, you will have gaps in the data points. Changing the resolution of the date range should show that the 5th data point is there.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ama_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

What are the collection intervals that this metric is collecting at? Also what is the date range in the indicator chart?

The indicator charts by default show 60 even time slices for the date range you have defined. If you have it at the default of 8 hours each time slice is 8 minutes. If the metric you are looking at has a collection interval greater than what the time slice is showing, you will have gaps in the data points. Changing the resolution of the date range should show that the 5th data point is there.
0 Kudos
jduino
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

> I have on some, but not all, of my resources, a pattern where 4 datapoints
> are reported and then the 5th one is missing (shows up as gray in the
> Availability chart). I suspect it's something like the agent is running
> out of time to collect or something like that, but there aren't any error
> messages in the agent.log that indicate this. Does anyone have any ideas?
>

Are you certain the data is missing? It might just be the time scale/range
you are using. If you select each dot does it give you a time 1 minute
apart, including the grey dot? The graphing does not interpolate data just
to fill the graphs, so if one of the 'increments' along the x-axis of the
graph falls between actual data points it will be grey or empty.

andynoon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah, yeah. Sorry, the interval breakup threw me. The gray points were in graphs that had all metric intervals for 10m or more. When I exported the data to a CSV, you could easily see that there was nothing missing. Thanks!
0 Kudos