VMware Cloud Community
alexfeig2
Contributor
Contributor

MSI installer > postgres sizing

Hi there,

Quick question - with the MSI installer's default postgres database, how many servers can that support before I need to consider moving to mysql?

TIA
0 Kudos
6 Replies
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi Alex,

one HQ server installation needs one database.
Or are you talking about the number of monitored platforms ? I think if the your database backend becomes a bottleneck you tune your Postgres settings, then seperate the applicationserver (HQ server) from the databaseserver (Postgres).
MySQL's performance seems to be better than PostgreSQL but I think the number of supported platforms and metrics is not a reason to change from PostgreSQL to MySQL for most users.
There is no limit, and you both databases provide lots of performance tuning capabilities.

HTH,
Mirko
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The big factor being what sort of hardware you are running on, of
course, which then leads to how you might tune your Postgres settings
for optimized performance. Out-of-the-box everything is configured
quite conservatively in order to be compatible with the minimum
hardware requirements.

Charles

0 Kudos
alexfeig2
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the responses - I should have been a little more specific since this is a pretty ambiguous question. Thanks to you both for the information thus far.

I plan on running Hyperic on a pretty nice server, dual quad cores, 4gb of RAM, and a couple 15k SAS drives.

The server will be monitoring about 10 servers total, possibly up to 20. I want to be sure that I install it right the first time to avoid headache down the line.

Assuming I don't run out of hard drive space any time soon, do you think it's reasonable to expect that the built-in postgres DB will work for me?
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, that should be fine. You can still tweak the internal postgresql
a little more, but you may not need to. You'll probably get a better
performance bump by upping your Java heap size:

http://support.hyperic.com/display/DOC/Configuring+HQ+for+Large+Environments+and+Improved+Performanc...

Charles

bclark_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I read through this and would like to increase the Xmx and Xms settings on my server. However, I have a Windows server. How do I change these settings? I assume that the hq-server.sh script is not used in a Windows environment.

Thanks,
Brian
0 Kudos
bclark_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I answered my own question. On Windows, you have to set the heap values via the hq-server.conf file. I added a comment to the documentation Wiki with this information.
0 Kudos