VMware Cloud Community
Meynstey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Linux resources showing unavailable

So, all of our Windows based resources are working perfectly in Hyperic; Linux is not. We're running 3 RedHat 5 servers. To set them up with did the following:

1. Installed the RPM
2. Ran interactive install using /opt/hyperic/hyperic-hq-agent/bin/hq-agent.sh
3. Imported all found resources into Hyperic
4. Everything is working properly

The problem begins when I stop hq-agent.sh or try to use the newly installed "hyperic-hq-agent" service instead... Hyperic shows all resources as unavailable. Once this happens, nothing seems to bring it back (even restarting hq-agent.sh).

I'm running out of ideas...
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Meynstey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

One additional note... just tried adding a modified setting on one of the these Linux servers and I get this error message:

"Unable to import platform : org.hyperic.hq.appdef.shared.AIQApprovalException: Error connecting or communicating with agent Unable to connect to 192.168.4.71:2144: Connection refused"

Not sure if it's related
0 Kudos
mcmesser
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This error means the Agent is not actually running. You'll need to take a look at the agent.log (in the log directory of the Agent's home) to see what is going on.
0 Kudos
Meynstey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So, I think I've found the problem, and I'm not sure if I just misunderstood the documentation or if it's wrong... but it seems there is a problem with interactive setup:

Running hyperic agent with interactive setup in Linux breaks directory permissions (noticed this in ../hyperic-hq-agent/data). So, I changed owner and group for data, restarted the service and that seemed to work for a bit, but then I started to get JVM errors, and it would continue to show unavailable.

So, I completely removed the RPM and platform and started fresh, but this time configured it manually through agent.properties.

1. Installed RPM
2. Adjust agent.properties
3. service hyperic-hq-agent start

This produced the result I was looking for, and permissions on the data directory are now correct, nor am I seeing JVM errors in wrapper.log
0 Kudos
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

I guess you were performing the installation as root and then you were running the following command as root:
/opt/hyperic/hyperic-hq-agent/bin/hq-agent.sh
Your Agent was running as root.
Sorry, we are aware of the problem. A workaround could be to su - hyperic before you proceed with the postinstallation process.

Cheers,
Mirko
0 Kudos