VMware Cloud Community
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Linux VM setup questions

Is there any recommended partitioning setup for creating a Linux VM upon which to install Hyperic HQ (open source)?? How big should the VM be and how much RAM??

Can anyone please comment about how they have done their Linux VMs??

I want to set up a small Hyperic VM to monitor 6-7 Windows servers and perhaps a few other things etc.

It would use the various defaults -- Postgres etc.

I plan to use CentOS since I have never been able to get it to install on Ubuntu due to a BUG in the Hyperic installer related to the JRE...

Thank you, Tom
0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

System requirement can be found here: http://support.hyperic.com/display/DOC/Installation+Requirements. Let me know if you have any questions.
0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please re-read my question -- I wasn't asking about the system requirements.

I'm asking about the partition structure of the Linux partitions themselves, such as /, /var, and whatever other partitions are created...recommendations on how the partitions themselves should be set up so HP and its database have what they need for storage etc.

Thank you, Tom
0 Kudos
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

it depends on the type of package you are about to install:

- bundled with Postgres database
make sure that you have about 4 GB of diskspace in your target directory/partition, e.g /opt
The partition schema is not so important.
- use and external database
if you use postgres or mysql that comes with your Linux distro, make sure that you have plenty of space ( I would recommend more 4GB) in your database store directory, wich is most times /var by default.

If you run into any problems, it is not a big problem to move HQ server to another directory. There are only few configuration files you have to change. In fact you only have to change your init script.

Cheers,
Mirko

Cheers,
Mirko
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What's the normal location of the bundled Postgres db installation -- /opt??

I don't recall seeing anything in the installation documentation about where Hyperic puts its various files during a normal Linux installation...

Thank you, Tom
0 Kudos
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Tom,

during the HQ install process, you are required to specify a target directory. That directory contains HQ server as well as the bundled database.

Mirko
0 Kudos
ama_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We used to have a 3.x series VM appliance setup specifically for this purpose.

The vm was setup for a intial eval not so much for extended usage, but 4gigs of space is a good starting point. The VM was running stripped down debian and had a gig of ram allocated to it.

What bug are you seeing with Ubuntu and the JRE bundled with Hyperic?
0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bug: It does not find/recognize/use the bundled JRE etc.

It would be nice if you would bring back the VM appliance, with 4.2 set up on it, such that people could readily monitor 25-100 things with it according to the allocated disk space, RAM people can change on their own.

Thank you, Tom
0 Kudos