VMware Cloud Community
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there a way via hyperic to monitor Solaris web servers ?

Is there a way via hyperic to monitor Solaris web servers ? on my portal
running Sun web servers there is non apache process or httpd . So what can I monitor
or how ??
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjmh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, so the process we want to monitor is webservd. Using the PTQL, to get the process we want, the statement would be something like..

State.Name.eq=webservd,State.Name.Peq=webservd

( This means look for a process named 'webservd', whose parent process is also named 'webservd' )

So in Hyperic, go to the platform that you have the Sun Java Web server running on. Go to the upper right and click on the 'Tools' box and choose 'New Platform Service'. Put something like 'Sun Java Webserver' for the name and change the 'Service Type' box to 'Process'. Click 'Ok'.

( Note: This won't work if there are more than 1 child processes running with webservd. If you have more than 1 webservd child process, you'll want to specify the service as 'MultiProcess' rather than just 'Process'. )

This will dump you to a new screen. Click on the gray bar that says 'Configuration Properties'. It'll expand it. Click on 'Edit'. Then in the box labeled 'process.query', input the line:

Click 'OK' to save it. It should now start monitoring the service and get some basic performance data on it.

Hope this helps.

Message was edited by: shajducko

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sjmh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can use write a process monitor plugin ( http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/DOCSHQ30/Process+Monitor+Plugin ) or you could write a script plugin ( http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/DOCSHQ30/Script+Plugin ) that does your own bit of magic.

Not exactly sure what you're asking to monitor however. Are you trying to monitor whether the process is running or you asking how you would get performance data out of your portal?
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for replying. I dont know much about solaris web servers and when using HYPERIC
and new discovery, I was trying to figure out what it is on solaris web servers (processes,etc) that run that should be monitored. I know they dont use apache so I was wondering what they
use and how to monbitor it . Performance metrics is the second step after figuring out how
to tell if the web server is working properly. Sorry for my lack of knowledge. I could just
monitor one of its web pages ,but I thought there would be something else(process) to monitor.
0 Kudos
sjmh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you using Sun Java Web Server or something older like iPlanet? If you have login to the machine, you can issue something like..

"ps -eaf | grep java" to see what java processes are running and see if those look like which processes are running. You could write a process plugin around that. It all depends on what the process is. You can just do a 'ps -eaf' to see all the processes running on the machine.

The performance data is a little more complicated.
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After looking around I see a webservd so I think Im using the Sun Java Web Server So, I think I have to monitor that . However there are 3 processes created and a google for this
said tro monitor the 3rd child proces. Sun web server saves the pid for the original
webservd start, but I dont know how I will get the actual child process ID to monitor.. The
child proceess is what does all the answering to questions .

I dont think the 3 process ID #'s will always be consecutive .

I saw this at :
http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5063510&messageID=9237681
# ptree 6898
6898 ./webservd-wdog -r /space/iws61sp2 ...
6899 webservd -r /space/iws61sp2 -d ..
6900 webservd -r /space/iws61sp2 -d ...

In this example, the pid 6898 is called the watchdog process,
6899 webservd process is called the primordial process
and the pid 6900 is called the child webservd process that actually serves all the HTTP requests.

Ans2) You would monitor the child webservd process.
0 Kudos
sjmh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, so the process we want to monitor is webservd. Using the PTQL, to get the process we want, the statement would be something like..

( This means look for a process named 'webservd', whose parent process is also named 'webservd' )

So in Hyperic, go to the platform that you have the Sun Java Web server running on. Go to the upper right and click on the 'Tools' box and choose 'New Platform Service'. Put something like 'Sun Java Webserver' for the name and change the 'Service Type' box to 'Process'. Click 'Ok'.

( Note: This won't work if there are more than 1 child processes running with webservd. If you have more than 1 webservd child process, you'll want to specify the service as 'MultiProcess' rather than just 'Process'. )

This will dump you to a new screen. Click on the gray bar that says 'Configuration Properties'. It'll expand it. Click on 'Edit'. Then in the box labeled 'process.query', input the line:

Click 'OK' to save it. It should now start monitoring the service and get some basic performance data on it.

Hope this helps.

Message was edited by: shajducko
0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks so much , I did something like that before I saw your answer but was getting syntax errors . wit hthe statenamed line . YOu have been great . Now I just have to try your
syntax for multiple processes.
0 Kudos