VMware Cloud Community
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is ther a way in Hyperic 3.2 to have hyperic know a problem is a network pr

Is there a way in Hyperic 3.2 open source to have hyperic know a problem is a network problem and NOT a problem with say availability for all the servers on that network. Im trying NOT to create a bunch of alerts that fire off due to a network problem and NOT a server problem. Is there any documentation on how to accomplish this ???? or is this type of
monitoring only available in the Enterprise version. ???
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

In the HQ review guide, you'll find an example how to enable Monitoring of SNMP devices step by step:

http://download.hyperic.com/pdf/hq-trg-32.pdf

Mirko

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
laullon
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

That happen in both versions.
Disable all alert when agent is down, or server can't connect with the agent, could be a good improve suggestion.
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes . Come to think of it usually the agent always stays up so if the HYPERIC server cant talk
to the agent then there is a probable network problem .. But again is there a way to know
if it is a network problem and where the problem on the network is using HYPERIC and
maybe SNMP ???
0 Kudos
laullon
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, by SNMP you can manage your network's hardware
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you point me to some examples of hyperic using an agent on one system to monitor
via using snmp on another NON -hyperic system. . I dont know alot about snmp, except
that it monitor hardware and networks decently. I have set up a cisco box as a platform and can monitor its interfaces, Can I interface HYPERIC with a remote system's snmp to monitor that system for performance stats or availability. I cant install an agent on the network switch etc or a router or perhaps f5 balancing system, but could I monitor there performance or use
them in indicating a Network problem and NOt a server problem . I think snmp on a server
can learn about its surrounding network pieces. I was hoping that a hyperic agent on a system could use the functions of the snmp software on a remote system to help indicate
a server or network problem.
0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please see previous step question for continuing this forum question. Help setting
up snmp access to another system.
0 Kudos
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

In the HQ review guide, you'll find an example how to enable Monitoring of SNMP devices step by step:

http://download.hyperic.com/pdf/hq-trg-32.pdf

Mirko
0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes I have seen that and used that to monitor a cisco box. But I was think in the area of
being able to do snmpwalk etc and discovering network connections etc that would have
Identify my network . Again trying to use snmp and hyperic to tell the difference between a
network problem and a server problem and NOT sending out many alerts that may be setup
for servers on the particular network that has a problem .
0 Kudos
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Ah okay, now i understand. Nagios provides such a function which i's an option called "parent". But you still have do create dependencies manually. I don't think that Hyperic is capable of such a function right now and I think it' very difficult to discover dependencies automatically. Maybe the MAP function is one step in the right direction.

Mirko
0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes Im trying to decide on hyperic or Zenoss to use. Hyperic is much easier to install and
start using and easy to configure with a good dashboard. However open soutrce Zenoss has roles and maping that use snmp to detect errors in the network . Im trying to see if I can do something similar in HYPERIC.
0 Kudos