VMware Cloud Community
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is it possible to monitor the disk space of a system that does NOT have a

Is it possible to monitor the disk space of a system that does NOT have a
hyperic client on it???? So that I can setup an alert for low disk space . Or is a client needed ?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

oh yeah, to see the section on agentless SNMP monitoring, go to page 21 of the "test ride guide" - http://www.hyperic.com/downloads/assets/review_guide.pdf

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
staceyeschneide
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You can run SNMP agentless. That too is in the Test Ride Guide... http://www.hyperic.com/resources/whitepapers.html. Not sure what kind of system you are running, though.

-Stacey
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 14:54 -0700, mike monczynski wrote:
> Is it possible to monitor the disk space of a system that does NOT have a
> hyperic client on it???? So that I can setup an alert for low disk space . Or is a client needed ?

If it is a UN*X box, you could mount the drive onto a box with a hyperic
client box and monitor it that way. I assume you could do similar under
Windoze.

John
--
John Duino <j.duino@delcan.com>
Delcan

0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am running Hyperic open source on a linux box ,but have numerous Solaris ,linux and windows boxes I would like to monitor there disk space with without them having a agent.
Im mostly interested in doing this to Linux and windows boxes.
0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I really dont want to use NFS , and a system may have many disks. I dont want to have
to edit hundreds of config entries. I thought maybe I could use another system client
to interrogate another system and report on its low disk space when it happens.
0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply . But I dont want to use NFS and for windows Im not sure how to do this.
0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Could you direct me to when to look on the whitepages.html page. ?Or some direction into
how to use SNMP agentless.?
0 Kudos
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Mike,

You can do this, but it requires that you have a working snmpd, or in the case of Windows, know how to configure WMI. I don't know how to do either of those, but that's what it would take. Like you, I also don't like the idea of network mounts, either by NFS or CIFS, as that just seems inherently messy and ripe for carnage.

The hard part is configuring SNMP. If anyone reading this has done that, perhaps they can help.
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

oh yeah, to see the section on agentless SNMP monitoring, go to page 21 of the "test ride guide" - http://www.hyperic.com/downloads/assets/review_guide.pdf
0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info
0 Kudos
gnovak
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

BTW: I am not sure where to post this as I am a new user. There is a mistake in the Test Ride Guide.

At the bottom of Page 8 under View Platform Metrics, the same paragraph of information is presented twice.
0 Kudos
staceyeschneide
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I think you found the spot. Its been noted and fixed in the April revision.

I think this question is answered now?

Message was edited by: staceyeschneider
0 Kudos