VMware Cloud Community
BradFelmey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ICMP Ping plugin not functioning

I have 3.0.1 installed on the HQ server. Agent, Shell, Server, all reporting for duty.

I wished to use the server platform's agent to ping a remote system. Accordingly, I copied the ping-plugin.xml from $HQ_AGENT_DIR/pdk/examples to $HQ_AGENT_DIR/pdk/plugins. I restarted HQ server and agent.

The ICMP Ping service now shows up as something you can create in the Inventory tab of the server platform's agent. Goody!

I can successfully create a service of type ICMP Ping, but upon visiting the Configuration Properties area, I am presented with "Configuration Properties for the server are not set.Please configure the server before configuring this service.".

I freely admit I have absolutely no idea what it's asking for. In v2.7.x, I simply copied the plugin and it worked out-of-the-box. I have searched the v3.x online documentation, and the only hits for "ping" related to the shell. Has v3.x introduced further configuration requirements for this plugin?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Brad,

I think this is the desired behavior, right? After creating the ping service, you need to tell HQ which host to ping.

From the inventory tab on your ping service there should be a Configuration Properties section at the very bottom. Click the header to expand the current configuration. From there you can set what host to ping, etc. The rolled up inventory page is different in 3.0, which may be the source of confusion here.

-Ryan
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I should also mention that I tested this on 3.0.2. I seem to recall a bug in the 3.0 beta or 3.0.1 time frame that would cause that message to not go away once the resource has been configured.

So a server upgrade to 3.0.2 may be in order.

-Ryan
0 Kudos
BradFelmey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This may be the issue. As it is, visiting the Configuration Properties section gives me the error message I specified in my thread-opening post, and I am not allowed to proceed with configuration at all.
0 Kudos
BradFelmey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have upgraded to v3.0.2 on both server and agent, and still no joy.

Attached is a shot of what I see. I have done this before on v2.7.x.
0 Kudos
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Could it be a permissions issue? Is ping-plugin.xml (in your server dir) writable by the HQ server process owner?
0 Kudos
BradFelmey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I am a blithering nitwit. I only remembered having to copy the plugin to the agent location - not the server one. After doing this, it works perfectly.

I do so love displaying my stupidity for the entire world. 😕
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Phew! I was running out of ideas on this one.. 🙂

-Ryan
0 Kudos
kinjal_dave
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!
Can u please guide me how to insert the plugins in server and agent..
I have copied the ping-plugin.xml in agent's pdk/plugin but i have no idea where to put this in server..

kindly help...

Thank you.
Kinjal
0 Kudos