VMware Cloud Community
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would like to monitor disk space and CPU on a windows box --DONT see

I would like to monitor disk space and CPU on a windows box 2003 server --DONT see in pltform view for the windows box any "fileserver mount" or "CPU". I do see these services
for my UNIX/LINUX platforms . What controls whats in the Platforms services health, and WHY does the windows platform NOT show any platform services. I have 3.02 server
talking to the windows box running 3.02 client. I just reinstalled the client on the windows
box and still the same. Nothing in platformservices health). I restart the HQ server and its
client also . DONT know how to manage the windows box. I can manually go in and add a fileserver mount service and name it and then that name shows up in the Platform services
health. I shouldnt have to does this for CPU or NetworkServer interface, or fileserver mount .???? I talked to John Mark Walker and he is NOT sure why this is happening ????
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jjondle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm by no means an expert but I experienced this problem also. This is why I believe it happened to me.

1. I installed server and verified it was running and I could connect to HQ.
2. I installed my agent on another box and as soon as it said it successfully started I killed it so that I could proceed with installing the agent as a service.
3. I installed the agent as a service and started it.
4. That particular agent in HQ didn't show WIN32 or any of the hard drives.

I fixed it by removing the agent and reinstalling it. After you start the agent for the first time and it communicates with the server let it run for a while before you kill it to install as a service.

1. Stop the agent service on the windows box
2. Open your command line, change to your agents directory, and run hq-agent -u to uninstall as a service
3. Delete the Data folder from your agent directory
4. Use the SERVER installation download to install your agent
a. By running setup.bat -full (option 3 for agent install)
5. Complete the agent install so that your window says "agent successfully started"
6. DO NOT CLOSE THAT WINDOW
7. Log into your HQ and accept your auto discovery inventory, browse to that resource, and you should see that it is only partially populated
8. Refresh every few minutes and you should see that all of the availability icons change to green checks and your additional item like disk drives and CPU get added.
9. When satisfied close your agent, install it as a service, and restart it.

I was killing my initial agent discovery before it could complete, it sounds like you are having the same symptoms.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
jjondle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm by no means an expert but I experienced this problem also. This is why I believe it happened to me.

1. I installed server and verified it was running and I could connect to HQ.
2. I installed my agent on another box and as soon as it said it successfully started I killed it so that I could proceed with installing the agent as a service.
3. I installed the agent as a service and started it.
4. That particular agent in HQ didn't show WIN32 or any of the hard drives.

I fixed it by removing the agent and reinstalling it. After you start the agent for the first time and it communicates with the server let it run for a while before you kill it to install as a service.

1. Stop the agent service on the windows box
2. Open your command line, change to your agents directory, and run hq-agent -u to uninstall as a service
3. Delete the Data folder from your agent directory
4. Use the SERVER installation download to install your agent
a. By running setup.bat -full (option 3 for agent install)
5. Complete the agent install so that your window says "agent successfully started"
6. DO NOT CLOSE THAT WINDOW
7. Log into your HQ and accept your auto discovery inventory, browse to that resource, and you should see that it is only partially populated
8. Refresh every few minutes and you should see that all of the availability icons change to green checks and your additional item like disk drives and CPU get added.
9. When satisfied close your agent, install it as a service, and restart it.

I was killing my initial agent discovery before it could complete, it sounds like you are having the same symptoms.
0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, I didnt wait long after it startted,and I killed it to start as a service. Thanks so much for replying. I will try this today,

Thanks again
0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I reinstall and did what you said and it cleared up everything . I now see all the services
that I should in the platform services health column.
0 Kudos
bigdummy2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Awesome! I'm glad to hear it.

Now I have one question - how did you mark the thread as "answered"? Because I don't see any points going to jjondle, and I'm crossing my fingers that there isn't a bug in the point system.

-JM

0 Kudos
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Good deal!

I'm trying to make sure that our forum points system is working as intended - did you click the button that said "helpful" or "correct" answer? I'm just trying to figure out why the points didn't show up for jjondle, and I'm hoping I don't have to debug Jive 😞
jjondle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

NO POINTS???? 😞

🙂
0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dont remember but I think i just put a check in the answered box.
0 Kudos
BradFelmey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

> NO POINTS???? 😞

I know the feeling. I've been answering my brains out, and I'm still stuck at the very bottom. 😞
0 Kudos
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Ah, that's why. You need to click the buttons next to someone's response that say "this was a helpful response" in order for anyone to get points.

Please mark your last answered questions as unanswered and then dole out points appropriately. Pretty please 🙂

Hmm... perhaps I need to write up a little point system HOWTO.
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I change them to UN-answered ?
0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

JOHNMARK:

I went back through I think all my questions and click on helpful or correct .. Hope
that gets your points up to where they should be for everyone.
0 Kudos