VMware Cloud Community
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I see thi scommand to create a service --I have a couple of questions

In a previous forum question from a diiferent person to create a ping service , the command below was issued. I tried using it but it says cant find object ..

Candyou tell me what --resourceId=10629 is . Is it the hyperic servers id or the machine I want to ping id ? I dont think the --prototype="ICMP Ping" exists since when I try and list all prototype I dont see it .. Do I need all these repeats of name .. what is name . I read the man pages for this am still confused.. I would like to be able to ping various hyperic agents systems . what is count=3 and the switch="-c" . Does this command work for you ?

[i][/i]/hqapi.sh resource createService --prototype="ICMP Ping" --resourceId=10629 --name=dallas3.xxxx.net -- ip=208.xxx.xxx.xx2 name=dallas3.xxxx.net count=3 ping="/bin/ping" switch="-c" hostname="dallas3.xxx.net"
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Mike,

That is correct. All plugins have to be loaded into the server for it to know about them. Then any agent that you wish to utilize the plugin also needs to have the plugin loaded in it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Mike,

The "ICMP Service" isn't installed by default. It's available in the examples directory or http://svn.hyperic.org/projects/hq/trunk/plugins/examples/ping-plugin.xml it needs to be installed on both the server and agent.

Note: It requires an OS supporting perl and I also seem to recall only works with certain ping programs.

Once it is installed the command should work fine for you.
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks.

So I need to install it on the hyperic server which I want to ping all the remote clients.. Will this allow me to ping agentless remote systems or only remote hyperic agents. ?? Do I need to have the ICMP service installed on all the remote hyperic clients also ? Sounds like what you said.

I guess the availability metric that hyperic uses is similar to a ping ?? so I think I would just need to use this for agentless systems ?

Again if you can help with the syntax and what in the example command I gave what the resourecid is referring to the resource is of the hyperic server or agent or the resource id of a remote
systems running the agent ??
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Mike,

It needs to be installed on both the agent and server that you wish to run the ping command. What this plugin does is uses the systems "ping" command to ping a remote host. It can be internal to your network or external just as long as it is reachable from the agent doing the pinging.

You can use it to monitor agentless systems, network devices, or an additional mechanism to monitor for host availability/reliability.

The HQ server doesn't have a resource id. It is just the server. The resource id needs to be of the agent that you wish to issue the ping command.
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Man thanks for the very good explanation .. I going to try WEdnesday .. Thanks so much for your help . When you say it has to be installed on agent and serve that you wish to run the ping command .. So this is a plugin that has to be installed on my hyperic server location and in the hyperic agent location for plugins ???
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Mike,

That is correct. All plugins have to be loaded into the server for it to know about them. Then any agent that you wish to utilize the plugin also needs to have the plugin loaded in it.
0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks
0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Now that im into plugins one last question on the ping plugin ..

Wes said:

Then any agent that you wish to utilize the plugin also needs to have the plugin loaded in it.

OK if I have the plugin installed on the hyperic server and also in its agent location Can I then ping all other hyperic systems with this / OR do I have to go to each remopte system and add the plugin to the agents plugin directory on them . Or is just the hyperic servers and its agent plugin enough ??
0 Kudos