VMware Cloud Community
newatcisco
Contributor
Contributor

Hyperic version 4.0.2 and Redhat Linux ES3

I am new to Hyperic. I downloaded the RPM package hyperic-hq-installer-4.0.2-1.i386.rpm and installed it on my Redhat Linux ES-3. I have everything installed
on this box including postgressql. Here is the info. on my Redhat Linux ES-3:

Linux Linux-lab 2.4.21-4.EL #1 Fri Oct 3 18:13:58 EDT 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[root@Linux-lab /tmp]# more /proc/version
Linux version 2.4.21-4.EL (bhcompile@daffy.perf.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3
-20)) #1 Fri Oct 3 18:13:58 EDT 2003
[root@Linux-lab /tmp]#

When I tried to install hyperic, I got this error:

[root@Linux-lab /tmp]# rpm -Uvh hyperic-hq-installer-4.0.2-1.i386.rpm
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
1:hyperic-hq-installer ########################################### [100%]
bash: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied
spawn ./setup.sh
Unpacking JRE to temporary directory /tmp/jre
Initializing Hyperic HQ 4.0.2 Installation...
Loading taskdefs...
Taskdefs loaded
Choose which software to install:
1: Hyperic HQ Server
2: Hyperic HQ Agent
You may enter multiple choices, separated by commas.1

HQ server installation path [default '/home/hyperic']:/opt/hyperic

/opt/hyperic
Enter the fully qualified domain name of the SMTP server that HQ will use to send email messages [default '10.109.114.20']:bash: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied
[root@Linux-lab /tmp]#

Can anyone tell me why it behaves this way? I thought this should be very
easy and straight forward but I guess not. Please help !!!!!

Many thanks.

Dave
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ldomingues
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem.

I've installed it using the RPM version, using --nodeps.

Then I set the java path manually
export JAVA_HOME={path to java}

started the agent and also add the JAVA_HOME to the init.d script

I works and connects to the server, but no data is available on the server...
0 Kudos
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi Luis,

does the new Agent appear on the dashboard of your HQ server in the Autodiscovery portlet ?

You could try to run hq-agent.sh status or hq-agent.sh ping to check connectivity to you HQ server.

Mirko
0 Kudos
ldomingues
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it does. And it's working now, but no metrics are active, and when I try to "chart selected metrics" I've got a Java Exception.

I'm searching the forum but couldn't find a similar case... Here's the dump:
java.lang.NullPointerException at org.hyperic.hq.ui.action.resource.common.monitor.visibility.ViewChartFormPrepareAction._setupBaselineExpectedRange(ViewChartFormPrepareAction.java:513) at org.hyperic.hq.ui.action.resource.common.monitor.visibility.ViewChartFormPrepareAction._setupPageData(ViewChartFormPrepareAction.java:476) at org.hyperic.hq.ui.action.resource.common.monitor.visibility.ViewChartFormPrepareAction.workflow(ViewChartFormPrepareAction.java:154) at org.hyperic.hq.ui.action.WorkflowPrepareAction.execute(WorkflowPrepareAction.java:79) at org.apache.struts.tiles.actions.TilesAction.execute(TilesAction.java:73) at org.hyperic.hq.ui.action.BaseRequestProcessor.processActionPerform(BaseRequestProcessor.java:63) at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:236) at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1196) at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:414) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:697) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:810) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:672) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doInclude(ApplicationDispatcher.java:574) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.include(ApplicationDispatcher.java:499) at org.apache.struts.tiles.UrlController.execute(UrlController.java:89) at org.apache.struts.taglib.tiles.InsertTag$InsertHandler.doEndTag(InsertTag.java:875) at org.apache.struts.taglib.tiles.InsertTag.doEndTag(InsertTag.java:462) at org.apache.jsp.portal.ColumnsLayout_jsp._jspx_meth_tiles_insert_0(Unknown Source) at org.apache.jsp.portal.ColumnsLayout_jsp._jspx_meth_c_forEach_1(Unknown Source) at org.apache.jsp.portal.ColumnsLayout_jsp._jspx_meth_c_forEach_0(Unknown Source) at org.apache.jsp.portal.ColumnsLayout_jsp._jspService(Unknown Source) at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:810) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:672) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doInclude(ApplicationDispatcher.java:574) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.include(ApplicationDispatcher.java:499) at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspRuntimeLibrary.include(JspRuntimeLibrary.java:966) at org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.include(PageContextImpl.java:604) at org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesUtilImpl.doInclude(TilesUtilImpl.java:99) at org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesUtil.doInclude(TilesUtil.java:135) at org.apache.struts.taglib.tiles.InsertTag.doInclude(InsertTag.java:760) at org.apache.struts.taglib.tiles.InsertTag$InsertHandler.doEndTag(InsertTag.java:892) at org.apache.struts.taglib.tiles.InsertTag.doEndTag(InsertTag.java:462) at org.apache.jsp.portal.MainLayout_jsp._jspx_meth_tiles_insert_2(Unknown Source) at org.apache.jsp.portal.MainLayout_jsp._jspService(Unknown Source) at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:810) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:672) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.processRequest(ApplicationDispatcher.java:463) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:398) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:301) at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.doForward(RequestProcessor.java:1085) at org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesRequestProcessor.doForward(TilesRequestProcessor.java:263) at org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesRequestProcessor.processTilesDefinition(TilesRequestProcessor.java:239) at org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesRequestProcessor.internalModuleRelativeForward(TilesRequestProcessor.java:341) at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processForward(RequestProcessor.java:572) at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:221) at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1196) at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:414) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:697) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:810) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173) at org.hyperic.hq.ui.AuthenticationFilter.doFilter(AuthenticationFilter.java:148) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173) at org.hyperic.hibernate.filter.SessionFilter$1.run(SessionFilter.java:59) at org.hyperic.hq.hibernate.SessionManager.runInSessionInternal(SessionManager.java:79) at org.hyperic.hq.hibernate.SessionManager.runInSession(SessionManager.java:68) at org.hyperic.hibernate.filter.SessionFilter.doFilter(SessionFilter.java:57) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173) at org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.RuleChain.handleRewrite(RuleChain.java:164) at org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.RuleChain.doRules(RuleChain.java:141) at org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.UrlRewriter.processRequest(UrlRewriter.java:90) at org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.UrlRewriteFilter.doFilter(UrlRewriteFilter.java:417) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173) at org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:81) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173) at org.hyperic.hq.product.servlet.filter.JMXFilter.doFilter(JMXFilter.java:324) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178) at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.CustomPrincipalValve.invoke(CustomPrincipalValve.java:39) at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityAssociationValve.java:159) at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.JaccContextValve.invoke(JaccContextValve.java:59) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126) at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107) at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148) at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:856) at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:744) at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527) at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.MasterSlaveWorkerThread.run(MasterSlaveWorkerThread.java:112) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
0 Kudos
ldomingues
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos