VMware Cloud Community
bclark_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hyperic using Postgres 8.4.1 as backend DB?

Should I expect any issues using PostgreSQL 8.4.1 as my backend DB for Hyperic HQ?

Thx,
Brian
0 Kudos
6 Replies
mcmesser
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We haven't tested or seen anything in the field beyond Pg 8.3.x. So it's hard to say if you'll see issues.
0 Kudos
bclark_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok. I am going to give it a try and I'll let you know how it goes.
0 Kudos
bclark_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok. I am successfully running Hyperic HQ 4.1.2 with PostgreSQL 8.4.1 as my backend database. So far, no problems, but I only have about a dozen agents talking to it at the current time. I'll be adding more every day, getting up to about 75 agents.

Database
PostgreSQL 8.4.1 on x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-42), 64-bit

App Server
Windows 2003 32-bit edition

I'd be happy to provide any logs if you are looking for anything specific as to Hyperic interactivity with pgsql 8.4.1.

Brian
0 Kudos
dharm_iiith
Contributor
Contributor

I can see that hyperic is not able to detect postgres-8.4.*. Am i missing anything..??
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Manually add postgresql server via the UI. I would also highly recommend you migrate to MYSQL if your planning on having 75 agents.
0 Kudos
bclark_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I use Postgres 8.4.1 and have no performance issues. I have 68 platforms and capture over 1,600 metrics per minute.

I know that the Postgres folks have tried to improve performance with the 8.4 release. I don't know if it has caught up with MySQL or not, but it is fast enough for me.

Brian
0 Kudos