VMware Cloud Community
adamd_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Hyperic installation on Win2k8 R2

Does anyone have any experience in installing Hyperic on Windows 2008 R2?
I've been trying to install both the agent and server, through the MSI, Windows command line and other platform packages with no success.

The MSI fails in creating the services for both the agent and server.
The windows zip package seems to be able to install the agent, but when checked doesn't copy any files in to the specified location, despite the install log suggesting everything is ok.
The server fails with an error message during the install.

Has anyone successfully installed either the agent or server on 2k8 R2?

Thanks,
Adam
0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is a known issue. workaround is to manually install the windows service from the command line.
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Here are the bug tickets that have been logged for this issue.

http://jira.hyperic.com/browse/HQ-1936
http://jira.hyperic.com/browse/HHQ-3525

Let me know if you have any questions. You can manually add the service by running 'hq-agent -i' and 'hq-server -install'

Thanks
Scotty
0 Kudos
adamd_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Scotty.
Using your advice, and also having to give the wrapper-windows-x86-32.exe adminstrative rights under compatibility options I've managed to get the agent to install and start.
Still struggling with the server though... I've given it administrative rights as above
Running hq-server.exe -install from the server-4.2.0\bin folder seems to go ok, just runs and doesn't throw out any output. This doesn't create a HQ Server service in Windows though, but doesn't give any errors.
Running hq-server.exe -start seems to kick things off, but the process gets stuck with:
[Log4jService$URLWatchTimerTask] Configuring from URL: resource:jboss-log4j.xml
And never gets beyond that step.

Any advice you have would be appreciated!
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I'll take a look.at you server.log.
Stop HQ Server
delete the server.log
Start HQ Server and attach fresh server.log after a few minutes.

Thanks
Scotty
0 Kudos
adamd_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Turns out I had got it running by executing hq-server.exe. Only thing I'm struggling with is getting it to install as a Windows Service still.
I'll have another play this afternoon and if I'm still struggling will send over the log files.

Thanks,
Adam
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

With the agent running, you can simply run hq-agent -i to install it as a windows service. For HQ Server you can run hq-server -install
0 Kudos
adamd_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Eventually got it to install correctly by running the MSI from a command prompt run as admin, with UAC turned off, then giving the hq-server.exe 'run as admin' privleges once installed.
Once runnning UAC can be turned back on with no problems.
0 Kudos