VMware Cloud Community
emmby_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Hyperic and Postgresql 8.3

I'm trying to get Hyperic 3.2.4 to monitor our Postgresql 8.3 database, so far without success.

Following the instructions in the Edit Configuration Pane, I set the following params in postgres:
stats_start_collector = true
stats_block_level = true
stats_row_level = true

Unfortunately, postgres 8.3 doesn't like those options and refuses to start up.

I did some searching around and found a JIRA entry about adding 8.3 support to Hyperic EE, but wasn't able to find any mention of it in the opensource version. http://jira.hyperic.com/browse/HHQ-1613

Looking at the 3.2.5 release notes, I also don't see any mention of support for 8.3: http://support.hyperic.com/display/DOC/HQ+3.2.5+Readme

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can get up and running with Postgres 8.3 support in Hyperic?

Thanks
Mike
0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

emmby,

Looking at pgsql 8.3 release notes, it looks like stats_start_collector is removed, and they always start the collector, now.

stats_block_level and stats_row_level have been merged into track_counts, which should be on by default.

So try again with the default options (i.e. take those params out of postgresql.conf) and see if it will start.

--jeremy
0 Kudos
emmby_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response, Jeremy.

My database will start with the default options, but the Agent is not reporting data from it. I checked the agent.log and see that the postgresql-plugin.jar is loaded, but i don't see any indication of what's wrong.

The Plugin configuration uses a jdbc url of "jdbc:postgresql://localhost/hq". Do I need to create an "hq" database or something to get this to work?

Thanks
Mike
0 Kudos
emmby_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Just thought I'd see if anyone had any more thoughts on Postgresql 8.3 support in Hyperic Open Source. If not in Hyperic 3, perhaps it'll be available in 4?
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

On 9/18/08 1:50 PM, Michael Burton wrote:
> Just thought I'd see if anyone had any more thoughts on Postgresql 8.3 support in Hyperic Open Source. If not in Hyperic 3, perhaps it'll be available in 4?
>

Michael,

As a datastore for HQ Server or as a Managed Product? We do have
Enterprise customers using PostgreSQL 8.3 as the HQ server datastore,
and PostgreSQL 8.3 was supported as a Managed Product as of HQ 3.2.4.

Thanks,
Marty

0 Kudos
emmby_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

As a Managed Product. I'm having trouble getting hyperic 3.2.4 to monitor postgresql 8.3.3.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos