VMware Cloud Community
dvd_debian
Contributor
Contributor

Hyperic Server 5.8.2 Open Soure Support E-Mail Alert ?

Hello All,

I use Hyperic 5.8.2.

Does Open source version of Hyperic supports Alerts thro E-Mail ?or is it available only in Enterprise Version ?

I set Availability alert and I am getting a similar kind of error as shown in this link.

Re: Alerts via SnmpTrap

I added Notify Other  Recipients and mentioned an E-Mail Address.

When ever the alert occurs, recipient  email id is not getting any alerts

I see these logs meesages in server.log

org.hyperic.hq.events.server.session.AlertConditionsSatisfiedListener@7bf092f11] [org.hyperic.hq.events.server.session.Action@259] Error getting initialized action for org.hyperic.hq.bizapp.server.action.integrate.OpenNMSAction

WARN  [org.hyperic.hq.events.server.session.AlertConditionsSatisfiedListener@7bf092f11] [org.hyperic.hq.events.server.session.ClassicEscalatableCreator@165] Error executing action [(id=10009, class="org".hyperic.hq.bizapp.server.action.integrate.OpenNMSAction)]

org.hyperic.hq.events.ActionExecuteException: Unable to execute action: Unable to get action

Where should I check ?

I am sure that, I am able to send E-Mail from the Hyperic Server.

hq-server.conf looks as follows

server.mail.host=smtp.smtp.in

# Change to SMTP port

mail.smtp.port=25

# SMTP properties

mail.smtp.auth=false

mail.smtp.socketFactory.class=javax.net.SocketFactory

mail.smtp.socketFactory.fallback=false

mail.smtp.socketFactory.port=25

mail.smtp.starttls.enable=false

-

Sree

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Sree,

Hyperic open source edition supports alerts and email actions.

Did you define email action for your alert?

You can define it easily by defining new alert and choose ‘Notify Other Recipients’ action in the action tabs.

Click on ‘add to list’ and enter your email address.

In addition you have to verify that the mail configurations in your hq-server.conf are correct.

After editing the hq-server.conf file restart the Hyperic server.

The log section that you paste from agent log file is about NMS action and not Email action.

Thanks.

Tal

0 Kudos
dvd_debian
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Tal ,

Thank you very much for the reply.

For the errors/doubts which i faced in earlier posts, the solution you mentioned worked .

A special thanks for that !

Let me explain what I did.

I edited hq-server.conf with following. entries :

server.mail.host=smtp.smtp.in

# Change to SMTP port

mail.smtp.port=25

# SMTP properties

mail.smtp.auth=false

mail.smtp.socketFactory.class=javax.net.SocketFactory

mail.smtp.socketFactory.fallback=false

mail.smtp.socketFactory.port=25

mail.smtp.starttls.enable=false

Here I mentioned mail.smtp.auth  as false, as  our Internal SMTP Server, allow sending

mail without authentication.

I tried sending mail thro Java Code, with the same settings mentioned above.

After configuring , I restarted hyperic server.

Then I went on creating alerts.

1. I created Availability Alert with Metric Availability < 100 % ,manually thro Hyperic Portal
  2. Then I  clicked, ‘Notify Other Recipients’ action in the action tabs.

Clicked  on ‘add to list’ and mentioned my email address.

When the availability alert got triggered, I was able to see the alerts in Recent Alerts Division.

But the recipient email address mentioned in the portal, did not receive any email..

When I checked server.log, I got the error which I have attached here..

I request you to please correct me, where I am wrong.

-

SRee

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi SRee,

I saw the error in your server log file.

Are you using Server Enterprise edition?

Your Server tried to execute Enterprise Email Action while the Email action class didn’t exist in your system.

You can run select on your Hyperic DB to verify if the action exist: select * from EAM_ACTION (where id = 10005)

21-08-2014 11:41:17,144 IST WARN [org.hyperic.hq.events.server.session.AlertConditionsSatisfiedListener@2f20f04c1] [org.hyperic.hq.events.server.session.ClassicEscalatableCreator@165] Error executing action [(id=10005, class=com.hyperic.hq.bizapp.server.action.email.EmailAction)]

• org.hyperic.hq.events.ActionExecuteException: Unable to execute action: Unable to get action

Thanks,

Tal

0 Kudos
dvd_debian
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Tal,

Thanks for the reply.

I use Open Source Hyperic Version - 5.8.2.

I downloaded this version from sourceforge.

I use linux - 64 Bit Version of Hyperic. [hyperic-hq-installer-x86-64-linux-5.8.2.tar.gz]

While running the query

"select * from EAM_ACTION where id=10005;"

I am getting the follg.

id   | version_col |                  classname                  |                                                                            config                                                                            | parent_id | alert_definition_id | deleted

-------+-------------+-------------------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-----------+---------------------+---------

10005 |      0 | com.hyperic.hq.bizapp.server.action.email.EmailAction | \xaced00057400086c69737454797065740001317400056e616d65737400257372696b726973686e616e7640636461632e696e2c6b61696c6173687340636461632e696e740003736d7374000566616c736570 |      |          10002 | f

(1 row)

I ve attached screenshot as well for your reference.

What should I do further, requesting your help in this regards.

-

Sree

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I downloaded the same version from sourceforge and the value was correct.

You have 2 options:

1. Re-install Hyperic server and it will work for you.

2. You can try to update the value of the class name. I don't know if it works but you can try:

1. Backup the DB- Mandatory otherwise you may loose all your data!
  2. Update the class name to: org.hyperic.hq.bizapp.server.action.email.EmailAction (Change the prefix from com to org)
    UPDATE EAM_ACTION SET classname='org.hyperic.hq.bizapp.server.action.email.EmailAction' where id=10005
  3. Restart the Server

Tal

0 Kudos