vCenter

View Only
  • 1.  Hyperic Applications usage

Posted Jan 28, 2009 11:51 PM
    What is the difference between an Application and a Group? It seems that you end up having to put the Application in a Group anyway just to make it visible to a Role. Under what circumstances would you choose to use and Application instead of a Group?

If you are defining an Application, what's a practical way to select the services associated with an application? Mysql lists every table in all the databases. On an 8 core Sun, for example, I see 64 cpu threads. There just seems to be a huge number of "Services" for any given "Application". Anyone have an example Applicaton?

• 2.  RE: Hyperic Applications usage

Posted Jan 29, 2009 05:47 PM
    I used to work a lot with other monitoring tool (CA Unicenter) and I think of Application as what is called in Unicenter as "Business Process View". Application in this sense would be several resources grouped together , for example, "invoice processing" - you need to monitor backend database on a unix box, ftp upload on another box, import process log files, printer queue, network interfaces on all devices and switches in between. I couldn't find how to set up alert on Application - this would be a good case to distinguish it from groups.
    I don't know what would be the difference between Mixed group and Application. I am using only Compatible Groups in Hyperic because it allows me to do live exec on them.
    The other point of distinction would be roles and permissions (e.g. groups have security description and applications don't) , but I am using Open Source version so I cannot tell.

vr