VMware Cloud Community
dvd_debian
Contributor
Contributor

Hyperic Alert - Configure E-Mail Alert via API - How to

Dear community,

I use Hyperic 4.6.

With the help of HQ API ( Java API), I was able to create Alerts

for the Resources.But I want to make it as an E-Mail Alert.

Say for a Resource Agent , I configure 6 Alerts via API.

Now I have nearly 40 Agents being monitored.

So 40*6=240 Alerts.

How can I configure E-Mail Alerts as well via API ?

I feel that manually mapping 240 Alerts with an Email ID is difficult.

Can you please suggest a way, so that while creating alerts  via API itself, I shall be able to mark the alert with an Email Address, so that

when ever alert gets triggered, marked Email addresses will be notified via Email.

-

Sree

0 Kudos
8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

One could either make an escalation (Enterprise feature) tied to those alerts.

Or

You could use HQAPI to list these alerts, use a script or sed/awk to add the email action then sync the XML back using HQAPI.

0 Kudos
dvd_debian
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You have to use alertdefinition sync command after updating the AlertDefinitionsResponse (xml).

The alertdefinition sync command takes an AlertDefinitionsResponse and syncs any changes back into the HQ inventory.

You can read more in Hyperic documentation:  https://support.hyperic.com/display/DOCS46/HQApi+alertdefinition+command

Thanks,

Tal

0 Kudos
dvd_debian
Contributor
Contributor

Hello tgoldman,

Thanks for reply.

That link was much helpful.

I configured Alerts and when an alert was triggered,Alerts are shown in Hyperic Dashboard, But no Email was sent.

When I check server.log,

"

0-07-2014 13:24:14,726 IST WARN  [org.hyperic.hq.events.server.session.AlertConditionsSatisfiedListener@7bf092f11] [org.hyperic.hq.events.server.session.ClassicEscalatableCreator@165] Error executing action [(id=10005, class="com".hyperic.hq.bizapp.server.action.email.EmailAction)]

org.hyperic.hq.events.ActionExecuteException: Unable to execute action: Unable to get action

at org.hyperic.hq.events.server.session.Action.executeAction(Action.java:275)

at org.hyperic.hq.events.server.session.ClassicEscalatableCreator.executeActions(ClassicEscalatableCreator.java:156)

at org.hyperic.hq.events.server.session.ClassicEscalatableCreator.createEscalatableNoNotify(ClassicEscalatableCreator.java:105)

at org.hyperic.hq.events.server.session.ClassicEscalatableCreator.createEscalatable(ClassicEscalatableCreator.java:94)

at org.hyperic.hq.events.server.session.AlertManagerImpl.fireAlert(AlertManagerImpl.java:474)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:309)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:183)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:150)

at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.MethodInvocationProceedingJoinPoint.proceed(MethodInvocationProceedingJoinPoint.java:80)

at org.hyperic.hq.monitor.aop.aspects.PerformanceMonitor.monitorServiceMethod(PerformanceMonitor.java:84)

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor240.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AbstractAspectJAdvice.invokeAdviceMethodWithGivenArgs(AbstractAspectJAdvice.java:621)

at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AbstractAspectJAdvice.invokeAdviceMethod(AbstractAspectJAdvice.java:610)

at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AspectJAroundAdvice.invoke(AspectJAroundAdvice.java:65)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)

at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor.invoke(TransactionInterceptor.java:110)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)

at org.springframework.aop.interceptor.ExposeInvocationInterceptor.invoke(ExposeInvocationInterceptor.java:89)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:202)

at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy89.fireAlert(Unknown Source)

at org.hyperic.hq.events.server.session.AlertConditionsSatisfiedListener.processEvents(AlertConditionsSatisfiedListener.java:83)

at org.hyperic.hq.zevents.TimingListenerWrapper.processEvents(TimingListenerWrapper.java:47)

at org.hyperic.hq.zevents.BufferedListener$BufferedEventRunnable.run(BufferedListener.java:63)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by: org.hyperic.hq.common.SystemException: Unable to get action

at org.hyperic.hq.events.server.session.Action.getInitializedAction(Action.java:260)

at org.hyperic.hq.events.server.session.Action.executeAction(Action.java:270)

... 32 more

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.hyperic.hq.bizapp.server.action.email.EmailAction

at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1680)

at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1526)

at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)

at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)

at org.hyperic.hq.events.server.session.Action.getInitializedAction(Action.java:251)

... 33 more

"

I use Hyperic 5.8.2 Open Source Version in Debian Linux.

My  System is able to telnet to smtp server.

Could you, please give your suggestion.

-

Sree

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Hyperic had a problem to execute the Email action in alert fire process.
You can try to define a new test alert with one email action and test it to verify if it is a system issue or just a specific alert definition issue.

Thanks,

Tal

0 Kudos
dvd_debian
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tal,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried with for  2 alerts.

One  alert created  by manually mapping Email Address

Other  alert created  by HQAPI Web Services.

For both alerts, I am getting same error, when the Alert is triggered.

How shall I proceed further ?

-

Sree

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Did you test your email server?

Try to send a message from Hyperic server machine to Email server.

Verify that the email server is defined correctly in Hyperic ( .../conf/hq-server.conf file.)

Tal

0 Kudos
dvd_debian
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Tal,

thanks for the reply.

My hq-server.conf is as follows [EMail]

server.mail.host=smtp.smtp.in

# Change to SMTP port

mail.smtp.port=25

# SMTP properties

mail.smtp.auth=false

mail.smtp.socketFactory.class=javax.net.SocketFactory

mail.smtp.socketFactory.fallback=false

mail.smtp.socketFactory.port=25

mail.smtp.starttls.enable=false

>>Try to send a message from Hyperic server machine to Email server.

Yes it s working

Could you please suggest me what else I need to check from my side ?

-

Sree

0 Kudos