VMware Cloud Community
agiuoco
Contributor
Contributor

Hyperic Agent 4.0.3 with Windows 2008 x64

I am having trouble getting the Hyperic Agent to work with Windows 2008 x64. I have UAC on and the firewall and that is the configuration I would prefer to keep. The error I am getting when I issue the 'hq-agent.bat start' command is:

wrapper | OpenSCManager failed - Access is denied. (0x5)

And the script just hangs there. I don't know if it is a file permission or a firewall issue. Has anyone gotten the Hyperic 4 agent working on a Windows 2008 x64 server?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
bclark_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I will be giving this a try soon. I'll let you know if I have any success.

Brian
0 Kudos
agiuoco
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I probably need to do some more troubleshooting on this, but I haven't had the time.
0 Kudos
bclark_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok. I now have Hyperic Agent 4.0.2 successfully working on Windows 2008 x64. I didn't experience your particular problem, but I had a few of my own. I also don't have UAC on, but I do have the Firewall on. Here are a few tips to help you get it going:

- Make sure that you have the Sun 32-bit 1.5 x Java JRE installed
- Do NOT install it in the default location, C:\Program Files (x86) as Hyperic (or the wrapper program) does not like the parentheses. I installed Java in C:\Java, because Microsoft wouldn't let me install it in the regular C:\Program Files directory. It kept silently redirecting the installer to the (x86) directory.
- Make sure you have your HQ_JAVA_HOME environmental variable set to this Java 1.5 location
- Enable TCP port 2144 in the Windows Firewall. The Windows 2008 Firewall is on by default now, and doesn't let Hyperic traffic in. You have to setup a custom port in the Firewall control panel to allow in traffic from the Hyperic server. I didn't have to create an outbound rule to 7080 or 7433, only the inbound rule.

That's all I had to do to get it to work.

In looking at your specific error message, I bet that it is related to UAC. The wrapper program is trying to open the Service Control Manager to start the service. I am not that familiar with UAC, but I would suggest looking there first.

Brian
agiuoco
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I disabled UAC on that server and I was able to run the agent. So you were right, it was UAC. But I would still like to know if it is possible to run the Hyperic agent without disabling UAC. Anyone done that yet?
0 Kudos
prettyricky
Contributor
Contributor

sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I also have the same issue with the OP. has anyone made hyperic work on Winserver 2008 without disabling UAC?

thanks in advance
0 Kudos
prettyricky
Contributor
Contributor

sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I also have the same issue with the OP. has anyone made hyperic work on Winserver 2008 without disabling UAC?

thanks in advance
0 Kudos
fonzisherman
Contributor
Contributor

starting cmd prompt as administrator worked for me.
0 Kudos
pawanctc
Contributor
Contributor

Error:

wrapper  | OpenSCManager failed - Access is denied. (0x5)

Press any key to continue . . .

I faced the same problem with Hyperic Agent 4.5.3.1 and was able to install it with starting command prompt as administrator. Thank you very much for sharing.

Thanks, Pawan If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos