We have recently archived our Hyperic 4 installation and switched over to a brand new installation of Hyperic 5!
As a basic test I have setup the agents on a couple of servers and am trying to monitor the availability change by switching the HQ Agent service on and off.
Initially when added the Agentt to the Server the availability has come up as 100% as expected, however now, when I switch the Agent off the HQ Dash still reports that the availability is 100%! I can not seem to figure out how this happens?
Can anyone please shed some light on the matter!
Further to my email, it seems to me that it could be some sort of a polling issue. As when I bring the agent down the HQ server does eventually report that it has gone done, but not until hours later!
As soon as the agent is started again the server instantly sees that it has started and communication flows!
Any light on the matter would be much appreciated!
Sorry for the late reply I have been away for a week!
I have checked the times and the time zones on the machines, and they are the same, I have the syncing of the same NTP servers.
What I’ve noticed is that if I for example stop SQL Server on one of the remote machines Hyperic within a few minute would display that the SQL server is unavailable, however if I stop the entire Agent on the same remote server it will not be for a few hours that Hyperic would actually display the machine as unavailable.
For example yesterday at 19:00 I stopped the Hyperic Agent on 1 of my severs, and only at 2:02 Hyperic Server generate an email to me with the fact that the machine (Hyperic Agent) was unavailable.
Very puzzling I’ve never seen this with Hyperic 4