VMware Cloud Community
saspad
Contributor
Contributor

Hyperic 4.6 custom pdk plugin not working

This should be easy, but I'm having problems writing a custom plugin to create a new service that displays metrics about my application running in tomcat server.  I have tested my MBean against jconole and it's fine.

Plugin looks something like this:

<plugin name="Obsidian">
       <!--<property name="PLUGIN_VERSION" value="1.0"/>-->
       <service name="Obsidian-Midtier">

<!-- the Obsidian MBean objectname -->
               <property name="OBJECT_NAME" value="com.sas.obsidian:service=Signature,name=QueryStatistics"/>

<!-- autodiscover -->
               <plugin type="autoinventory"/>              

<!-- list measurements to include -->
               <plugin type="measurement" class="org.hyperic.hq.product.jmx.MxMeasurementPlugin"/>

<filter name="template" value="${OBJECT_NAME}:${alias}"/>
               <metric name="Event Rate" alias="EventRate" indicator="true"/>
               <metric name="Event Rate Sampling Size" alias="EventRateSampleSize" indicator="true"/>
               <metric name="Event Query Count" alias="EventQueryCount" indicator="true"/>

<!-- list operations -->
               <plugin type="control" class="org.hyperic.hq.product.jmx.MxControlPlugin"/>
               <actions include="setEventRateSampleSize,getEventQueryCount,getVisitorQueryCount,getVisitorQueryCountByEvent"/>
       </service>
</plugin>

How can I get my service to be auto-discovered?  Do I need to associate it with a server?  Or will it just search all servers?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I would love to see some errors or something stating that I have something wrong.  How can I test my plugin for errors? When I run hq-pdk.jar -p obsidian -m discover, I just get "0 servers detected".  No errors.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
saspad
Contributor
Contributor

I found that if I name my mbean object by a certain convention:

spring.application:application=optional,type=required,name=required

then my service metrics and controls show up without even having to deploy a plugin.

Why?

I want to my company domain in place of spring.application.

I think a plugin would work so that I don't have to conform to this naming convention.

I would like to create a plugin that auto-discovers mbeans of a certain domain and type and

adds them to a service.

Why is this so hard?  Conceptually, it seems easy.  Can anyone help?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
laullon
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi saspad,

To get auto-discovery you need to define a "server".

Try with this xml

<plugin name="obsidian">
       <!--<property name="PLUGIN_VERSION" value="1.0"/>-->
        <server name="Obsidian-Midtier">
               <property name="PROC_HOME_PROPERTY" value="catalina.home"/>
               <plugin type="autoinventory" class="org.hyperic.hq.product.jmx.MxServerDetector"/>

<!-- the Obsidian MBean objectname -->
               <property name="mbean_name" value="com.sas.obsidian:service=Signature,name=QueryStatistics"/>

<!-- list measurements to include -->
               <plugin type="measurement" class="org.hyperic.hq.product.jmx.MxMeasurementPlugin"/>
               <filter name="template" value="${mbean_name}:${alias}"/>
               <metric name="Event Rate" alias="EventRate" indicator="true"/>
               <metric name="Event Rate Sampling Size" alias="EventRateSampleSize" indicator="true"/>
               <metric name="Event Query Count" alias="EventQueryCount" indicator="true"/>

<!-- list operations -->
               <plugin type="control" class="org.hyperic.hq.product.jmx.MxControlPlugin"/>
               <actions include="setEventRateSampleSize,getEventQueryCount,getVisitorQueryCount,getVisitorQueryCountByEvent"/>
        </server>
</plugin>

You can test the plugin with this command:

java -jar ../lib/hq-pdk-4.6.6.jar -p obsidian -Dplugins.include=obsidian -Dlog=debug -m discover -a metric

If you have problems, send me the full command outup.

0 Kudos