VMware Cloud Community
BC_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to write a plugin to monitor a JVM?

I would think this is easy, but I don’t see how to do it. Everything I have tried is NOT autodiscovered.

We have plugins for JMX servers and a plugin for SQL queries. I have not written is simple plugin to monitor a JVM. I just need to monitor if the process is available and the process must be autodiscovered.

The processed is not picked up as JMX because the agent detector looks for the string ‘-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.’ The startup params do not contain of any of the JMX parameters, but the process does register an MBean, with an objectname of “JMImplementation:type=MBeanServerDelegate.”

I can connect to our server using JConsole.

The agent properties file has jmx.sun.discover=true

Can someone please help, maybe point me to an example?

Thanks
Bob
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
BC_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply John.

Yes, I saw the article you mentioned.

The article talks about creating a plug-in jar. What I’m looking for is much simpler. I just want to know the availability of some java programs, is it running or not? I would think this would be an easy plug-in. Maybe a script plug-in that uses ping would work. Can someone me point to an example? I was looking at the Terminal Services plug-in. It looks like a simple plug-in would monitor a service. This might work.

We are on Windows Server.

Thanks
Bob
0 Kudos