VMware Cloud Community
rwmastel
Contributor
Contributor

How to track concurrent instances of a process?

We have an application that will spawn multiple instances of the same process to run multiple reports concurrently.  How do I set up a Platform Service (or something else) to track the number of these processes over time?  Product tech support wants to know who many are running when we experience our reporting problems.

This is on a Linux box and we're using vFabric Hyperic 5.0 Enterprise.

Thanks,

Rodd

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

http://pubs.vmware.com/vfabricHyperic50/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vfabric.hyperic.5.0/Multiprocess...

You have this metric - Number of Processes for the multiprocess platform service.

rwmastel
Contributor
Contributor

EyalMaderer,

Thank you for the recommendation.  I saw that metric and have been trying to use the MultiProcess platform service, but I'm new to Hyperic (few months) and have not had to use PTQL.  How do I find the proper query to use to configure the service?  This is for a Linux process.

Thanks,

Rodd

0 Kudos
karnati_vs
Contributor
Contributor

with porcess query plugin we can do by giving process sigar query.

of create a custom plugin which extends sigar query plugin and inside create a measurement which will monitor the process count.

0 Kudos
rwmastel
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for that link.  My problem was that I couldn't find a beginner's tutorial on stating a Sigar command prompt.  A coworker with past Hyperic (3.x) experience got me through that.  Then, I just had to play with the commands in your link and here - http://support.hyperic.com/display/SIGAR/Home

For a true beginner, start the Sigar command line by:

1)  CD to your agent folder holding the Sigar files, something like:

cd /monitors/hyperic/hyperic-hqee-agent-5.0.0/bundles/agent-5.0.0/pdk/lib

2)  Run java from the agent's folder with the sigar jar file specified, and the Shell command, like:

/monitors/hyperic/hyperic-hqee-agent-5.0.0/jre/bin/java -jar sigar-1.6.6.jar Shell

Then it's just a matter of playing with the commands in the links provided in this thread.

Also, there is a Sigar forum separate from this Hyperic Users forum.  I should have looked there for help.

Thanks,

Rodd

0 Kudos