VMware Cloud Community
janylj
Contributor
Contributor

How to set up Hyperic to minitor ActiveMQ?

I am quite new to Hyperic.

First I followed the installation guide for installing both server and agent. For testing purpose, the Hyperic server and agent are at one Linux box, which is the same box as ActiveMQ is at. Then I started Hyperic server and agent. The auto-discovery didn't find ActiveMQ.

I could manually add ActiveMQ 5.0 server. But I don't think I set it correctly. Because when I start ActiveMQ, "Process Start Time" in the monitoring tab doesn't change. The settings I have are:

process.query: State.Name.sw=java,Args.*.eq=-Dactivemq.home=/home/XYZ/apache/apache-activemq/apache-activemq-5.1.0
jmx.url: service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://localhost:1099/jmxrmi

So how should I do to set up Hyperic to monitor ActiveMQ? Thank you very much.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MarieMcGarry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

In investigating your question, I found that we haven't updated the documentation to reflect support for ActiveMQ 5.0. I will take care of that.

I'm speculating that the configuration requirements for monitoring 5.0 are same as 4.0. For 4.0, the documentation at http://support.hyperic.com/display/hypcomm/ActiveMQ+4.0+server says:

Configuration help:

To collect the "Process Open File Descriptors" ActiveMQ metric, the HQ Agent must have the required permissions to do so. The OS user running the Agent be the same OS user running ActiveMQ. In addition, if this metric is enabled for collection and if the Agent does not have the necessary permissions to collect the metric, it can negatively impact collection of ALL metrics for the ActiveMQ resource.

Are you running the agent and ActiveMQ under same user?

m