VMware Cloud Community
kallon
Contributor
Contributor

How to move Hyperic HQ Server to a new server location

Hi folks,

I am trying to transfer my Hyperic HQ 4.4 Server installation from one server to another.  Does anyone know what is the easiest/best way to do this?

I have at present got Hyperic installed on a vmware virtual server for evaluation and testing, and now I want to put it onto its own dedicated server.  I have Hyperic installed on a Ubuntu 11.10 virtual server and want to transfer it to a different Ubuntu 11.10 dedicated server on a different network.

It is currently installed under it's own directory hyperic/server-4.4.0/ and it is running on the default Postgres database maintained under hyperic/server-4.4.0/hqdb/data. 

I am thinking that I could just copy the whole directory, but then maybe settings will be misaligned, IP addresses will be wrong.  And how do I reconfigure the Hyperic client agents?

Thanks for any assistance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
staceyeschneide
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Welcome, Kallon. I hope this is a sign your evaluation is going well. You may want to try searching some of the historical threads on this forum - there are a couple answers already out there.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1941012

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/348119

Essentially though, you can move it by shutting the whole server down and moving the complete directory over. Your database will need to be reattached (assuming that you are moving to an external one for production as recommended).

Best of luck,

-Stacey

0 Kudos
kallon
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Stacy,

Thanks for that, it is really helpful.

Just a quick question, is it possible for Hyperic HQ to use a standalone PostgresSQL of version 9.1?

I can't find an answer to this anywhere, but I can see that Hyperic's built-in PostgreSQL version is 8.X. I installed the PostgreSQL version 9.1 on my test server Ubuntu 11.10 from the official Ubuntu repository, but am having a problem installing a copy of Hyperic HQ 4.4 to use this standalone PostgreSQL.

When running the Hyperic install script setup.sh, I get this error:

Enter the JDBC connection URL for the PostgreSQL database :

Enter the username to use to connect to the database:

admin

Enter the password to use to connect to the database.:

(again):

0 Kudos