VMware Cloud Community
thorreim
Contributor
Contributor

How to monitor a "standalone" Tomcat 6 under Windows with Hyperic?

Hello,

I have a Tomcat 6 running under Windows, that is not (!) controlled by a corresponding Windows service.

I am unable to configure and setup monitoring of that Tomcat in Hyperic 4.5.2. After creating the server in Hyperic (Type: Apache Tomcat 6) I am not able to configure the server.

In configuration dialog there is an entry "service name" under Control, which requires me to enter the name of the corresponding Windows service. From Unix I know, that there might be entries called "program", "prefix" and "timeout" instead. These allow control of Tomcat life cycle from Hyperic using the standard catalina commands (like catalina.sh).

Why are there no options to disable Tomcat control via Windows service and use program control instead? Or am I to blind to find the configuration entries for that?

I do not want to control my Tomcat via Hyperic but as long as I am not able to provide the right Windows service or replace it by program control in that dialog, I will not be able to complete the servce setup for my Tomcat in Hyperic and save this dammed dialog.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Thorsten

0 Kudos
5 Replies
staceyeschneide
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Services List of Windows 7 does not list the actual Service Names but the Display Name. You have to open the service to actually see the real service name.

0 Kudos
thorreim
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I do not understand your reply. Do you talk about Windows services? My tomcat is not (!) registered as a Windows service.

0 Kudos
pawanctc
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Just wanted to check if you were able to accomplish this? I am in a similar situation.

Thanks, Pawan If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
thorreim
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Pawan,

I think this is a bug. Via our support contract we filed a bug, I did never get an answer from them. In my humble opinion the program logic switches to service control for Windows system by default and there is no choices. For Unix program control is used.

What I did at the end of the day, I entered the name of Hyperic's own Tomcat service into the input field. I was able to overcome the restriction that this field must not be empty. The price is that control of my own Tomcat by Hyperic should never be used in the GUI as it will shutdown the Hyperic server. But for me it was fine because as I already stated I will not use the Hyperic control dialogs.

Looks to me that any other service name might be fine as well to overcome the dialog.

Maybe this is an acceptable approach for you, too.

Cheers

Thorsten

0 Kudos
pawanctc
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot Thorsten.

I installed the application service as a Windows service and was able to map it into Hyperic server to monitor. I am able to receive alerts whenever the service is unavailable.

Thanks, Pawan If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos