VMware Cloud Community
gioppo_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

How to create new LiveExec commands?

Is it possible to use the view tab for displaying data not only coming from the SO (the actual LiveExec list of commands) but also data coming from JMX beans that expose data?
I believe that tha actual LiveExec use SIGAR to get the data from the Operative System, but it should be possible to create something like a custom plugin to use the view tab to show data like array data coming from a JMX (data that is impossible to show in the metric or is too long for the command).
As for now it seems that much is hard coded into various files (index.gsp etc) so there is no "custom plugin behaviour" so that writing an XML file I can add new commands to the LiveExec page or adding a page where there is none.
I traced the getCommand method that should get the command list for the dropdown and it is generated by the "LiveDataPlugin" but I cannot find where effective commands are stored.
Any hint on where to look for implementing a custom view plugin?
Thanks
Luca
0 Kudos
4 Replies
SLTB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

LiveExec is a ui plugin based on groovy. You can create more of those and edit the current one.
Look at the HQU documentation.
0 Kudos
jtravis_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

hquplugins.org will have some HQU documentation.

It would be great to augment the LiveExec plugin to issue JMX queries. What types of resources do you want to attach to? The LiveExec view is currently only attached to Platforms, but you could also attach it to any servers or services that have JMX configuration. Views are setup via live_exec/Plugin.groovy

In order to issue a JMX call originating at the agent, you will need to use the LiveData subsystem.
(See LiveDataManagerEJBImpl.java). The plugin which does the work is MxLiveDataPlugin.java)

Most of the functionality that you will need, however, lies in ResourceCategory.groovy in HQU. It adds methods to Resource (org.hyperic.hq.authz....Resource) objects which are a little easier to use.
gioppo_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

I want to monitor JBoss App server in order to be able to get array results like the one from Hybernate longest query or array data.
We have tryed to create custom command, but the limit is that it display just few lines.
We tryed also using metrics, but they return just numeric data and is appropriate to use just for that.
Luca
0 Kudos
gioppo_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Still in trouble.
Looking through documentation, but barely managed to get hold to the:
import org.hyperic.hq.appdef.server.session.Service
Object but now?
How can I invoke commands on JMX?
The service is a Data Source an there should be the possibility to invoke a command but...
The service informs me that it can accept 'control', but how can I activate controls and more know which control command I have at my disposal?
I will ask later how to add more commands 😉 now I'll happy to manage to call a standard 'start' or 'stop' command.
0 Kudos