VMware Cloud Community
deeboh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to clear a PID conflict on Solaris HQ-Server

Hey folks, the title says it all. I have installed HQ-Server on a solaris box. I started it the first time, everything looked good. I stopped it so I could make some minor configuration changes (localhost to ip address in the conf files), then tried to start the server again, but got this error
HQ server is already running (pid 986).

the pid is not listed in ps or top or lsof.

is there a file I couldn't find with grep that contains the pid? Is the PID stored in the dB?. if so how do I clear it?

Thanks,

Deeboh
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cwitt_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The server pid file is kept in [server_install_directory]/logs/hq-server.pid. The server start-up should detect whether or not this pid is stale, and respond accordingly.

I could see this breaking if you started the server as one user (like root), and then tried to restart it as another user (like hyperic) where that second start did not have the permissions to over-write/remove the old pid information.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
cwitt_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The server pid file is kept in [server_install_directory]/logs/hq-server.pid. The server start-up should detect whether or not this pid is stale, and respond accordingly.

I could see this breaking if you started the server as one user (like root), and then tried to restart it as another user (like hyperic) where that second start did not have the permissions to over-write/remove the old pid information.
0 Kudos