VMware Cloud Community
olanterman
Contributor
Contributor

How does Availability work?

How does Hyperic calculate the Availability of something? I didn’t see the answer in the documentation. Specifically, how are Groups and Applications considered to be ‘Available’? If a member of a group or application is ‘yellow’ will that be reflected in the overall group’s availability? In other words, if one or more elements of a group or application are not available (that is red, yellow or gray) and the rest are available (green) will the group or application’s availability be something other than green?

My purpose for this question is that I’m working on a project where we are setting up some hardware to send a simplified self status to a collection point. We are hoping to use Hyperic to display this. We have proven that we can display the status in Hyperic for each individual hardware component. In our architecture, our components can be grouped into functional blocks. What we were hoping to do is create a ‘Compatible Group’ or an Application for each functional block and show each functional block on the initial screen. Then, we can select (drill down into) a group/application and see the hardware components that comprise that unit.

We can certainly create the group/applications – again, the question is, if my hardware components report anything other than ‘Available’ does that have any effect on the Application/Group availability.

Thanks for any assistance.

Owen.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Right now the availability of groups or applications is based on the
availability of each member without any defined thresholds. So if
7/10 resources in a group are available, then the availability of
that group is 70%. We are hoping to implement some type of user-
defined availability level for compatible groups such that you can