VMware Cloud Community
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor

How do I add another platform --a remote solaris client machine

I have a remote client that I connect to the hyperic server login page . I log in with my
hqadministrator account . the remote client is a solaris 9.x system . How can I add that
type of server as a platform . Auto discovery ? I hit the arrow for auto discovery and
said to display all. Nothing show up.

Hitting the new platform button I get a menu for adding a platform But it says It should NOT be used for solaris ,linux that support auto-discovery . So should I use this page or NOT ??

This page does not allow for creation of Platform Types that support Auto-discovery. These types include Linux, Windows, Solaris, HPUX, Darwin, FreeBSD, and AIX. These platform should be imported using the Auto-discovery portlet on the Dashboard.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
cwitt_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you installed and configured an agent on the remote Solaris box, or are you attempting to monitor service status on this box through an agent on another machine?

Once an agent is installed on your remote machine, and properly configured to send data to your HQ server, it should show up as an auto-discovered platform on the Dashboard. It can then be imported and managed.

If you are wanting to just monitor a network service on the box remotely without installing an agent, you can add the configuration as a "New Platform Service" for a platform with an existing running agent already configured in HQ. Once you give the service a name and an optional description, you can select the type of service in the drop-down menu. Clicking on "Configuration Properties" in the newly defined service definition allows you to input all of the configuration details for connecting to the service on the remote box. Additional details and explanations on how this works can be found in the HQ documentation here: http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/DOCSHQ27/Network+Services
0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor

I have installed and configured an agent on a remote system and just want it to show up as a platform to import .

I see these in my remote client log directory .. Does this mean anything to you ???

2006-11-28 18:07:00,476 WARN [ConfigPopulateThread] Unable to get entities for agent: IO error: null

2006-11-28 18:07:01,522 ERROR [AutoinventoryCommandsServer] Unable to send autoinventory platform data to server, sleeping for 15 secs before retrying. Error: IO error: null
2006-11-28 18:07:46,571 ERROR [AutoinventoryCommandsServer] Unable to send autoinventory platform data to server, sleeping for 22 secs before retrying. Error: IO error: null
2006-11-28 18:07:50,491 WARN [ConfigPopulateThread] Unable to get entities for agent: IO error: null
2006-11-28 18:07:50,492 WARN [ConfigPopulateThread] Sleeping for 20 seconds to fetch entities

Message was edited by: hypermike
0 Kudos
cwitt_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Well, this explains why it is not showing up in the dashboard. I've seen this output before when autodiscovery has failed, but I've also seen a better description of the reason behind the failure in a WARN line somewhere preceding the ERROR output. Are these the only AutoInventory related lines in the agent log?
0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor

I just removed the data directory and reconfigured the remote client. Amazing It NOW works. Thank you very much for trying to help.
0 Kudos
cwitt_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Great! Doesn't explain why the issue showed up in the first place, but I am glad you found a suitable solution.

Cheers.
0 Kudos