VMware Cloud Community
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor

How can I monitor the performance of my default postgreSQL8.1 database ?

I asked in a previous question what can I monitor to see when IM reaching a threshold for the number of agent systems I can add to my Hyperic open source server. I was told to :

watch postgres for slow queries, query execution time, memory and cpu used. db disk read/writes etc. I went to the administration tab and looked at monitoring defaults for postgresql8.1 but I dont see metrics for quieries to the db THe performance tab is blanck in the admiinstartion tab . Under the performance box is the statement :
No metrics of this type have been added to this resource.

So how do I use Hyperic 3.02 open source to monitor its default database functions to avoid
putting too many agents on it.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ama_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hmm, I was thinking of MySQL for some of those things, my Bad. MySQL seems to have a lot more metrics to choose from like Queries per minute(should be queries but is mislabeled questions) and slow queries per minute.

For Postgres specifically, I would watch commits per minute since auto commits are turned on in the default DB and inserts/updates should count as commits. So you can watch that to get a idea of the amount of DB writes there are for HQ and watch the disk metrics as well.

Your not seeing any metrics for that resource? Have you tried going to the metric data tab for postgres to see if the collection intervals are set and that it is collecting metrics for the DB? After that go back to the resources tab and select all metrics to add the commits per minute into the indicator chart.
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor

The resources I was NOT seeing for Postgres were the Queries per minute, queries per minute.. I do see the commits and there are being monitored. . Thanks again for responding.
0 Kudos