VMware Cloud Community
cliffkh
Contributor
Contributor

How Many Agents are You monitoring with HQ?

We are considering using HQ to monitor application services at approx 15,000 locations.

Has anyone implemented an HQ solution with thousands of endpoints/agents reporting in to a single server?

What is known about the scalability of HQ that can assist in the capacity planning process?

thanks,
Cliff
0 Kudos
5 Replies
noxis_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry Cliff not a answer for you. But the question is something I am very interested in hearing answered as well.
0 Kudos
BradFelmey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We're nowhere nearly in the 15k category, but I can tell you that CPU/RAM is not going to be your issue - I/O is.

A nice array of solid state drives should do the trick - either that or a huge metaLUN on an EMC.
0 Kudos
doomrainer
Contributor
Contributor

WOW,

we had to move to the advanced oracle configuration in a cluster to keep adequate performance for 200 servers to be monitored, let us know how 15,000 goes!
0 Kudos
dgorman_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have close to 1,000 platforms. We're adding another 1,000 platforms in the coming months.

Here are our stats:
Platforms (641) | Servers (2205) | Services (8181) | Compatible Groups/Clusters (196) | Mixed Groups (19) | Applications (0)
0 Kudos
dgorman_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

On this tip - with proper tuning you don't need MASSIVE hardware to run 1,000+ platforms. We did fine with a dual proc + 12GB ram app server and dual proc +32 GB ram (12 RAID10 PowerVault).

Proper tuning can yield massive gains in performance.
0 Kudos