VMware Cloud Community
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Highlights from JavaOne

For those of you who were able to attend JavaOne, you may have seen us there. If you didn't make it, here are some of the highlights - http://www.hyperic.com/blog/hyperic/2007/05/11/highlights-from-javaone/

We had a booth on the main floor, pods in the .orgZone and CommunityOne, and Charles gave a talk on scaling PostgreSQL at CommunityOne.

-John Mark
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DreadPirateFlin
Contributor
Contributor

Are the notes from the talk available anywhere online? I missed the talk, but I'm intensely curious about PostgreSQL performance tuning!

DPF
0 Kudos
bigdummy2
Contributor
Contributor

I will ask the one known as clee. Hopefully we can post something.

-JM
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Here is the presentation. Don't be misled by the title, however. As Josh Berkus and I presented, PostgreSQL tuning begins with application tuning. The presentation actually doesn't have anything PostgreSQL specific.

Charles
0 Kudos
DreadPirateFlin
Contributor
Contributor

Charles,

Thanks for posting the presentation. I'm a bit in a similar situation myself with my application (except we're not using any EJBs- straight servlet spec), so I appreciate any commentary on the topic- which your presentation provided. I'm nervous at the performance hit we would potentially take in moving to Hibernate/EJB 3 (as right now our environment is pretty optimized for exactly what we do). Thanks again for the presentation!

DPF
0 Kudos
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

And for the non-PPT users, here's the same talk in PDF.
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Here's another talk by someone who migrated from Oracle to Postgres. Perhaps you might find some useful information here.

Charles
0 Kudos