VMware Cloud Community
shankarunni_hyp
Contributor
Contributor

Help - VMWare agent not finding vmware installation

I installed the 3.1.0 enterprise beta linux agent on my ESX server (a very recent version!). When I start it up, it registers the host, and a bunch of generic linux services, but no VMware service..

The logs don't show anything odd:

[ProductPluginManager] Loading plugin: vmware-plugin.jar
[VMWareProductPlugin] Using vmcontrol library=/usr/local/hyperic-hq-agent-3.0.1-EE/./pdk/work/lib/vmware/vmcontrol.so

and that's it. No vmware resources show up in the auto-discovery table (though the host, and several of its other resources like CPU, disk, etc. show up).

How can I debug this further?
0 Kudos
11 Replies
chinasuperpan
Contributor
Contributor

Shankar Unni,???

http://hq.hyperic.net:7080/Login.do
the user name and password?

?????????
??

????????**************************
??? ?????
????????????
MAIL?pan-hl@neusoft.com
msn:blues_pan@hotmail.com
gmail:hongliangpan@gmail.com
Tel:+86 24-23966101
Mp : 13066667076
??????????2007-08-14

0 Kudos
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

you can increase the loglevel on your Agent:
Edit ${HQAGENT}/agent.properties , set agent.logLevel=DEBUG and restart your Agent.

Now you can run auto discovery for ESX again and watch the logfile in ${HQAGENT}/log/agent.log:
Click on "Browse Resources" -> "Platforms"->"your ESX platform". Select "New Autodiscovery" from the Tools Menu in the upper right corner. On the next page select "VMware ESX 3.x" and click on "OK".
0 Kudos
mhartmann
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Similar Problem here, i use the actual oss Version.
Actually i eveluate hyperic for a development environment.
Operating System: Suse 10.2
Client Version: 3.1.0
VMware Server: 1.0.3-44356
Log entry (Debudg Level):

2007-08-16 08:40:41,015 ERROR [VMwareProductPlugin] exec('/usr/bin/gcc' '-shared' '-o' '/root/download/hyperic-hq-agent-3.1.0/./pdk/work/lib/vmware/vmcontrol.so' '/root/download/hyperic-hq-agent-3.1.0/./pdk/work/lib/vmware/control-only/vmcontrol.o' '-Wl,-rpath' '/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libssl.so.0.9.7' '-Wl,-rpath' '/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7' '/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libssl.so.0.9.7/libssl.so.0.9.7' '/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7/libcrypto.so.0.9.7') failed: 1
2007-08-16 08:40:41,016 DEBUG [VMwareProductPlugin] vmcontrol library not available

gcc is installed, the vmware files mentioned in the error messages do all exist except vmcontrol.so. client is actually startet by root account.
The client works on another Suse 10.2 Server with VMware Server without problems.
Any help appreciated

EDIT: found one (maybe very important) difference. The System with the client errors is a 64 bit installation.

Message was edited by: remoh

EDIT2: Solved
gcc could not create the file vmcontrol.so
I had both versions of gcc installed, 32 and 64 bit. After uninstalling the 32 bit version the client works.

Message was edited by: remoh
0 Kudos
shankarunni_hyp
Contributor
Contributor

The problem seems to be some sort of error between the agent and the ESX hostd. Is there some place to put in usernames/passwords for logging in to the ESX host, or something like that, that I might be missing?

2007-08-20 12:05:02,643 INFO [RuntimeAutodiscoverer] Running runtime autodiscovery for VMware ESX 3.x
2007-08-20 12:05:02,901 WARN [RuntimeAutodiscoverer] Error running autodiscoverer for plugin: VMware ESX 3.x: Error discovering VMs: Invalid arguments: Login failed.
org.hyperic.hq.product.PluginException: Error discovering VMs: Invalid arguments: Login failed.
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.vmware.VMwareDetector.getServices(VMwareDetector.java:505)
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.vmware.VMwareDetector.discoverServices(VMwareDetector.java:391)
at org.hyperic.hq.product.ServerDetector.discoverResources(ServerDetector.java:201)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.agent.server.RuntimeAutodiscoverer.doRuntimeScan_internal(RuntimeAutodiscoverer.java:292)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.agent.server.RuntimeAutodiscoverer.doRuntimeScan(RuntimeAutodiscoverer.java:220)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.ScanManager.mainRunLoop(ScanManager.java:165)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.ScanManager.access$000(ScanManager.java:41)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.ScanManager$1.run(ScanManager.java:107)
Caused by: org.hyperic.sigar.vmware.VMwareException: Invalid arguments: Login failed.
at org.hyperic.sigar.vmware.VMwareServer.connect(Native Method)
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.vmware.VMwareDetector.getServices(VMwareDetector.java:480)
... 7 more

Followed by the discovery report:

2007-08-20 12:05:02,902 DEBUG [RuntimeAutodiscoverer] Sending RuntimeReport: [CompositeRRR
Report #0 from reporting server=10012:
Platform #0 ID=null FQDN=shankar-dev1.eng.vmware.com
Server #0 ID=10012 Name=shankar-dev1.eng.vmware.com Linux ProcessServer Stype=ProcessServer serviceCount=2
Report #1 from reporting server=10011:
Server #0 ID=10011 Name=null Stype=null serviceCount=33
Report #2 from reporting server=10016:
Server #0 ID=10016 Name=shankar-dev1.eng.vmware.com Linux NetworkServer Stype=NetworkServer serviceCount=4
Report #3 from reporting server=10015:
Server #0 ID=10015 Name=shankar-dev1.eng.vmware.com Linux FileServer Stype=FileServer serviceCount=1
]
0 Kudos
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I don't know how authentication works for VMWare ESX, but if it's similiar to VMWare Server you have to put some connection parameters in "Configuration Properties" of the server:
"Browse Resources" -> "Server" -> "VMWare" -> "Inventory"-> "Configuration Properties"
0 Kudos
shankarunni_hyp
Contributor
Contributor

But see, the problem here appears to be that the autodiscovery never even reports the "ESX Server" as a server on that platform - all that gets reported by the autodiscovery is "HQ Agent" and "NTP".

It's almost like the plugin is trying to do too much during the initial autodiscovery (when it doesn't know what username and password to use), and then gets an exception and aborts the entire autodiscovery (including the discovery of the ESX server itself).

Anyone else seeing anything like this? What could I be doing wrong?
0 Kudos
shankarunni_hyp
Contributor
Contributor

Is there anything I can set in agent.properties to give this plugin some initial values to use, rather than wait for it to show up in the inventory and configure it from the server side?

(which it never gets to, of course)..
0 Kudos
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You could create VMWare ESX Server manually:
"Browse Resources" -> "Platforms" -> "YourESXHost" -> "Tools Menu" -> "New Server", ServerType "ESX 3.x"
0 Kudos
kerneld
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

You will need a binary called libvmcontrol-helper. It should reside
under /usr/lib/vmware/bin. This is used by vmware-plugin startup to
create the vmcontrol(64).so file which is in turn used by the
vmware-plugin to execute native called from java.

The binary is part of the vmware-api-distribution which you can download
from VMware's website.

Regards
Mohamed
http://www.unixgarage.com

Mirko Pluhar wrote:
> You could create VMWare ESX Server manually:
> "Browse Resources" -> "Platforms" -> "YourESXHost" -> "Tools Menu" -> "New Server", ServerType "ESX 3.x"
>
>

0 Kudos
timdaley
Contributor
Contributor

I can't find those files on my system and I can't find any references to vmware-api-distribution on the vmware site. I do find /opt/hyperic/hyperic-hq.agent-3.1.1/pdk/work/lib/vmware/vmcontrol.so but obviously that isn't a part of the vmware distro.

I've downloaded the following:
VMware Infrastructure (VI) Perl Toolkit Packages
VMware Infrastructure SDK packages
VMware CIM SDK packages

These look like they are client packages but not what's needed.

Can you give a better indication where the api is?
0 Kudos
tmorton_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

I think this is where you have to get the API / SDK from. I don't have a ESX server up yet. I will be trying this as soon as the new MB shows up for my ESX server.

http://www.vmware.com/download/sdk/

HTH
Ty
0 Kudos