VMware Cloud Community
dferguso
Contributor
Contributor

Having trouble starting server / database

When I attempt to start the database manually I get the following error:

"C:\Program Files\Hyperic\server-3.0.2-EE\bin\..\hqdb\bin\pg_ctl.exe" start -s -
o -i -l "C:\Program Files\Hyperic\server-3.0.2-EE\bin\..\logs\hqdb.log" -D "C:\P
rogram Files\Hyperic\server-3.0.2-EE\bin\..\hqdb\data"
pg_ctl: could not start postmaster: exit code was -1073741790

I am using the postgress database that comes with HQ - default.

This I think then causes the server to not work, as when I try to connect it throws an exception apparently when attempting to access the database.

Any/all help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks
0 Kudos
5 Replies
jjondle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have never had to start the database manually on my windows HQ server. It is a dependency from, and starts automatically, when you start the HQ-Server service.

Did you install by running our installation batch file in a command prompt with -full?

Based on the limited knowledge all I could suggest is this. (only if this is a new install)

1. Re-run your "setup.bat -full"
2. Pick server installation
3. Answer all questions and let installation complete
4. Once install is complete close the server
5. Run "hq-server.exe -i" to install the server as a service
6. Go to your Services and right-click Hyperic HQ Server and click Start
7. It should start the server first and then the database
8. Verify that you can log into the HQ interface.

As I typed this it started sounding pretty thin to me, but hope it helps. If you did most of this but didn't finish, i.e.-didn't install as a service, pick up at that point and finish up.

Also, if there is some reason that I don't know about where you would rather start your database manually, please disregard this post entirely.
0 Kudos
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How are you starting the database? The preferred way to start HQ in Windows is to install HQ as a service - use "hq-server.exe -i"

In absence of that, you'll have to do a 2-step procedure: "db-start.bat" and "hq-server.exe"
0 Kudos
dferguso
Contributor
Contributor

I got the database running now, thanks. I am still having problems with exceptions in the server though, trying to track down, looks like port use issues. Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
jjondle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

what error messages are you getting?
0 Kudos
dferguso
Contributor
Contributor

Initially I was attempting to install Hyperic HQ on the same windows system I had JBoss Operations Network installed. I ran into port conflicts, etc. I then attempted to install Hyperic HQ on a separate windows box, and the database started fine, and I didn't have any port issues, but I received errors about missing database pluggins. I googled and found some comments about performance issues, and I did see a lot of postgres processes running. Anyway I decided to abandon the windows installation for now and installed on linux instead, it worked fine there.
0 Kudos