VMware Cloud Community
PatrickLota
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hard Disk space limited

Hello all,

I am using Hyperic from a VPS online (server 2003) and have only 20GB of space. Currently Hyperic is installed and also a PostgreSQL database viewer/editor. Thus far I am only monitoring one computer across the net and also the server agent is being monitored. I have set detailed data to delete after 1 day.

My question is, is there a way to get rid of all data over 31 days, detailed or undetailed. Although I am only monitoring 2 computers, the HDD space disappears by about 10 MB a day. When monitoring 20-30 it may increase to 200-300MB.

Also, the log files that are collected everyday...can I delete these?

Thanks for you help.

-Patrick
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jvalkeal_hyperi
Jump to solution

On one instance I have more that 100 agents. This system has been running for months and mysql db backupfile size is about 60MB.

Even if db size is increased by 10MB/day with one agent, it doesn't meant that HQ needs 300MB for one month. When data becomes old, HQ is trying to compact it by removing unnecessary data. Logic behind this is the fact that if you want to see trend from year ago, you really don't need to have every collected datapoints. You only need aggregated data from the past.

However, 10MB increase seems to be rather high. There maybe something wrong with your system. You know, windows and it's 'log' files are funny and really crappy thing. Sometimes windows service log(which HQ is trying to read) gets bloated. You could try to see how much stuff is logged to that service log. That might be the reason why db size is increasing... Just a guess, thought.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jvalkeal_hyperi
Jump to solution

On one instance I have more that 100 agents. This system has been running for months and mysql db backupfile size is about 60MB.

Even if db size is increased by 10MB/day with one agent, it doesn't meant that HQ needs 300MB for one month. When data becomes old, HQ is trying to compact it by removing unnecessary data. Logic behind this is the fact that if you want to see trend from year ago, you really don't need to have every collected datapoints. You only need aggregated data from the past.

However, 10MB increase seems to be rather high. There maybe something wrong with your system. You know, windows and it's 'log' files are funny and really crappy thing. Sometimes windows service log(which HQ is trying to read) gets bloated. You could try to see how much stuff is logged to that service log. That might be the reason why db size is increasing... Just a guess, thought.
0 Kudos
PatrickLota
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, your information has been most helpful. Yeah I have detailed metrics removed after one day. I believe logs are a part of the problem so I am going to look into this...I will delete them and see what happens.

Thanks
0 Kudos