VMware Cloud Community
Morten_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

HTTP service monitoringa web server port 80

To monitor a web site this forum mentions something about choosing a http service. First step I did was to create a Network Host, then 2 network interfaces were discovered. When I click on new service I only get the options of Network Host interface and Network Host storage, nothing else. Am I missing starting a service. It seems that I should be able monitor a http port 80 service without having any agent running. I have tried with having an agent running on my local michine (not the same machine as the web server I want to monitor) and without, no difference. Any help is greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
BradFelmey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

To monitor a system that doesn't have an agent installed, you need to piggyback another agent. Thankfully, this is easily done.

The following instructions presume that you have HQ running and at least one agent properly set up somewhere. You can even run an agent on the same system as the server if you like, which is what I do - I use the server's agent.

Log into HQ via the web page. At the top, click "Browse Resources". Select the agent/system that you want to perform the monitoring. This is NOT the system that you want to monitor port 80 on, but another agent somewhere else. Click on the "Inventory" tab. Under the "Services" section, click the "New" button.

From here, give a name to your monitor, like "Webserver 3", or whatever it is that tickles your fancy. From the service type, select "HTTP". Now, click "OK", and you should be dumped back into the inventory screen for this service.

Go down to the bottom of this screen, under the "Monitoring" section, and choose "Edit". You will need to fill in the following screen to taste, but at the very least you will need to set the target hostname "webserver.mydomain.tld" or whatever, and you might want to enter something under the regex section to make sure you're getting back the page you should be. For instance, if you have a string on your home page that says "this is the Humdinger site", then in the regex section you could put "this is the Humdinger site" so that HQ will check to make sure that's there. The reason for this is if the site answers, but with an error message, you want HQ to let you know that the site is not feeding the proper page(s).

Now, click "OK", and you're done. Create an alert definition if you wish at this point. There are plenty of neat little tweaks and things you can perform, but this should get you pointed in the right direction.
0 Kudos
Morten_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

That seemed to work, thank you so much, I guess I did not realize that I can use any agent, little confusing, I I think as long as I can now create a more logical view using the application feature, I should be okay.
0 Kudos