VMware Cloud Community
nbrown1
Contributor
Contributor

HQ Server does not autodiscover recently installed agent

Hi-

We have HQ server (Version 4.0.3 - build #953 - Jan 26, 2009 - Release Build) installed, and have recently installed HQ Agent (Current agent bundle: agent-4.1.0-1019) on a Linux server. The agent install completed successfully, and the install log indicates that the agent host inventory was successfully sent to the server:

2010-03-31 09:18:15,729 INFO [Thread-1] [AutoinventoryCommandsServer] Autoinventory report successfully sent to server.

On the HQ Server, the following entries from the server log seem to suggest the new server had already been detected, and the platform was updated:

2010-03-31 09:18:15,640 INFO [Thread-4515430] [org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.server.session.AutoinventoryManagerEJBImpl@548] Server not added because another scan method already detected it:
2010-03-31 09:18:15,641 INFO [Thread-4515430] [org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.server.session.AutoinventoryManagerEJBImpl@683] Received auto-inventory report from xxxx.xxxx.xxx
2010-03-31 09:18:15,642 INFO [Thread-4515430] [org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.server.session.AutoinventoryManagerEJBImpl@548] Server not added because another scan method already detected it:
2010-03-31 09:18:15,709 INFO [Thread-4515430] [org.hyperic.hq.appdef.server.session.AIQSynchronizer@110] Updating existing platform: xxxx.xxxx.xxx

I am not able, however, to find any sign that the HQ Server is reporting any information about this new server. It does not show up in the Recently Added section of the dashboard, nor does it show up in a search of Platforms. Other than the log entries above, there is no sign of this new server is known by the HQ Server.

Other Details:

New Server Hardware - ProLiant BL460c G6
New Server OS - RHEL v2.6.18-164.15.1.el5

HQ Server Hardware - Virtual Machine
HQ Server OS - SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86_64)

Any ideas on additional trouble shooting steps would be welcome. Thanks!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The agent version needs to be equal to or less than the server version. Although, I'm not 100% sure that this is the cause of the issue, that will cause other issues in the long run.

Could you retry with a 4.0.3 version of the agent?
0 Kudos
nbrown1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi-

Thanks for the quick feedback. With some assistance from in-house expertise, I was able to resolve this issue - as you may imagine, it was mostly user error.

When I logged into the HQ Server, I did not realize that I had the Auto-Discovery Range set to Last 10 Completed Auto discoveries. Once I expanded this to show All, I was able to find my recently added server, and add it to Inventory.

This does lead to a follow up question. It looks like the Last n Completed Auto Discoveries is listed in alpha order by Resource Name. Is this setting configurable such that it could list by Discovery Date?

Thanks again for the prompt reply to earlier post...
0 Kudos