VMware Cloud Community
gnovak
Contributor
Contributor

HQ Built-in Deployer Tool

Sorry for all of my questions!

I have read that "HQ's built-in deployer tool makes quick work of installing and managing all your HQ agents -- without ever having to individually visit each managed machine."

Using the Enterprise version of HQ, where is this tool located? Do you have to use the HQ shell to use this tool? I haven't really found any documents on hyperics website with a good picture of where this product is or how it works. I did a search and found references to CLI but that's it. We would most likely be using this tool to deploy agents.

Would this tool allow you to deploy agents across multiple subnets? How does it work?
0 Kudos
13 Replies
gnovak
Contributor
Contributor

::::bump::::

has anyone deployed agents to multiple machines all at once using this deployment method??
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The agent deployer tool is a CLI command. See: http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/DOC/Agent+CLI+Command

Charles

On Dec 21, 2007, at 11:01 AM, gnovak768 wrote:

> ::::bump::::
>
> has anyone deployed agents to multiple machines all at once using
> this deployment method??

0 Kudos
gnovak
Contributor
Contributor

So if you wanted to deploy the agent to multiple machines you would just do:

agent install machine1 machine2 machine3

etc.

How does that work? Or do you have to use the IP's of the machines? What if the machines are using DHCP? Would you then need the FQDN?
0 Kudos
bclark_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The documentation you referenced seems to only apply to Unix/Linux systems, as is mentions that an SSH account is required for this feature to work. Does this mean that there is no mechanism to remotely install an agent in a Windows environment?

Brian
gnovak
Contributor
Contributor

Good question bclark! I'm now wondering that as well.

I haven't really found a ton of information on the CLI tool other then some command lines to use. Has anyone used this and if so can someone shed the light on this topic a bit more by providing a step by step example of how they used it to deploy multiple agents to machines?
0 Kudos
gnovak
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I ran the command "agent install" from the shell and it appeared it started to ask me some questions about creating a sort of "template" or "answer file" to use when running the agent install command:

hq-shell::xxxxxxx> agent install
No agent installer configuration found
Configuring agent installer:
Location for local agent bundle storage [default '/hyperic/downloads']: [hyperic@xxxxxx shell-3.1.4-EE]$
[hyperic@xxxxxxx]$

I'm going to try this later today with a tech to see how it goes.
0 Kudos
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

For Windows there is a howto about installing Agents remotely:
http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/hypcomm/Remote+Agent+Install+on+Windows

-
Mirko
0 Kudos
BradFelmey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hmmm, would be much better to have an *.msi file, methinks. Then you could remotely install via SMS/SMC.
0 Kudos
gnovak
Contributor
Contributor

thanks! I didn't even see that! and thanks Brad for your help as well. This pretty much helps me out a lot.
0 Kudos
roger_symonds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi gnovak768,

How did you go with your deployment?

I'm planning to rollout something similar on a Fedora or Windows environment (undecided yet) and am wondering if you have any pointers or tips that might help!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Roger
0 Kudos
gnovak
Contributor
Contributor

well actually we haven't deployed as of yet. We had some additional questions in regards to the agent.properties files because on certain groups of machines we don't want particular plugins loaded. How would this work with multiple agent.properties files?

We are still brainstorming here. We also wanted to know if we could add to the mess by including adding the hyperic agent to startup automatically during the install. whoot!
0 Kudos
ama_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You could deploy in groups with:

plugins.exclude=

set in the agent.properties file with the plugins you do not wish to load.
gnovak
Contributor
Contributor

We most likely are going to use the plugin.exclude (as heard in a Hypercast!) to disable certain plugins we don't want to include to free up any additional java memory. That is pretty much what we are doing now is configuring the agent files for specific types of installs. We also want to try and put in something to get hyperic into startup when deploying these agents. Any tasks that can be put into the deployment process is a good thing.

Message was edited by: gnovak768
0 Kudos