VMware Cloud Community
Vimm
Contributor
Contributor

HQ 5 server install error on Windows 2008 R2

I'm trying a fresh HQ Server install on Windows 2008 R2 and keep getting an error.  Here's the details:

Setting permissions on F:\Program Files\hyperic/server-5.0.0...

Setting permissions on server binaries...
Fixing line endings on text files...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An ERROR occurred, the installation cannot continue.
FATAL EXCEPTION at F:\temp\hyperic-hq-installer-5.0.0\installer\data\setup.xml:553: : The following error occurred while executing this line:

F:\temp\hyperic-hq-installer-5.0.0\installer\data\setup.xml:562: The following error occurred while executing this line:

F:\temp\hyperic-hq-installer-5.0.0\installer\data\setup.xml:878: The following error occurred while executing this line:

F:\temp\hyperic-hq-installer-5.0.0\installer\data\setup.xml:948: java.io.FileNotFoundException: F:\Program Files\hyperic\server-5.0.0\bin\db-start.bat (Access is denied)

Upon instpecting db-start.bat (as administrator) I can see the file but I have no access to it.  I ran the install again and when db-start.bat is initially created I have full access and ownership until installation reches this step.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Which installer were you using?  The standard tarz.gz or the executable?

Can you try installing in a directory path that does not contain a space in the name and let us know if the behavior changes?

0 Kudos
Vimm
Contributor
Contributor

I used hyperic-hq-installer-win32-5.0.0.zip over at http://sourceforge.net/projects/hyperic-hq/files/Hyperic 5.0.0/

I tried installing to F:\hyperic with the same results.  I discovered that Hyperic 4.6.6 would fail if you used parenthesis.  For example: "C:\Program Files (x86)"  That's why I'm using "F:\Program Files" even though it's meant for 64 bit programs.

0 Kudos
pawanctc
Contributor
Contributor

Were you able to install it? I am trying to install it under C:\Hyperic and running into a DB error, I need to configure that and run again.

Thanks, Pawan If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Vimm
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to install 4.6.6 in "C:\Program Files\hyperic" though I would often get a java wrapper error when installing the service.  Eventually it worked.  I didn't configure a database connection, just used the default setup.

For 5.0 I'll try installing the x64 version next, though I'm doubtful that will help.

0 Kudos
pawanctc
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to upgrade Hyperic 4.6.6-EE to Hyperic 5.0 on Windows 7 and getting the below error.

Copying server db-upgrade files...
Copying server libs...
Setting up server database...
Setting up JDBC driver...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FATAL EXCEPTION at C:\Users\pbajoria\Documents\Hyperic\hyperic-hqee-installer-noJRE-zip-5.0.0\hyperic-hqee-installer-5.0.0\installer\data\setup.xml:554: : The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\Users\pbajoria\Documents\Hyperic\hyperic-hqee-installer-noJRE-zip-5.0.0\hyperic-hqee-installer-5.0.0\installer\data\setup.xml:571: The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\Users\pbajoria\Documents\Hyperic\hyperic-hqee-installer-noJRE-zip-5.0.0\hyperic-hqee-installer-5.0.0\installer\data\setup.xml:822: The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\Users\pbajoria\Documents\Hyperic\hyperic-hqee-installer-noJRE-zip-5.0.0\hyperic-hqee-installer-5.0.0\installer\data\setup-db-PostgreSQL.xml:86: Upgrading Hyperic server that uses the embedded database is not supported.

I am not sure what is going wrong. I couldn't ifnd much into the install doc.

Please help.

Thanks, Pawan If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

When you upgrade to Hyperic 5 the server should be down but the db server should be up,

go to bin dir and start the DB server: db-start.sh

Yaron

0 Kudos
pawanctc
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply Yaron,

I stopped the Hyperic server service and then I tried to run the C:\Hyperic\server-4.6.6-EE\bin\db-start.bat but it threw the below error

WARNING: Unable to create restricted tokens on this platform

I could find one post in JIRA with the same error message but with an older version. Not sure what I am doing wrong here

0 Kudos
pawanctc
Contributor
Contributor

I see the below two errors in Event Viewer on Win7 for PostgresSQL

Error:

FATAL:  could not create any TCP/IP sockets

and

WARNING: Unable to create restricted tokens on this platform

Information:

LOG:  could not bind IPv6 socket: No error
HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 9432? If not, wait a few seconds and retry.
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

hi

Are you upgrading to 5 or 4.6.6?

Please follow the instructions

http://pubs.vmware.com/vfabricHyperic50/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vfabric.hyperic.5.0/Getting_Star...

and you should start Hyperic 5 DB not 4.6.6

0 Kudos
pawanctc
Contributor
Contributor

I am upgrading from Hyperic 4.6.6-EE to Hyperic 5.0

I saw this documentation, may be I am doing something wrong here. I'll try again and post how it goes.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

and don't forget you have to start Hyperic 5 DB and not 4.6.6 like you did

0 Kudos
Vimm
Contributor
Contributor

Just tried using the x64 installer and not surprisingly got the exact same error.  Right after the JRE is unpacked the permissions on db-start.bat get corrupted.  Has anyone out there successfully installed Hyperic HQ 5.0 server on Windows Server 2008 R2?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I just ran the installer on one of my Windows 2008 R2 systems and it worked.

I unzipped the installer to the C:\ drive and installed there as well.

When you launched the command-line session did you right-click and select "Run as administrator"?

Would it be possible to attach the installer log here so I can take a look?

..\hyperic-hq-installer-5.0.0\installer\logs\hq-install.log

Thanks

0 Kudos
Vimm
Contributor
Contributor

Since it worked for you I tried it on a couple more systems and found one that worked.  These systems must just be configured wierd.  Thanks for the input.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you find the difference on your systems please let us know and maybe we can fix or document this.  For example are there any policies applied on these systems which could affect the installation process?

Thanks,

-Ed

0 Kudos
indecisiv
Contributor
Contributor

I'm going to bump this thread, as I am having the same issue attempting to install 5.8.2 (or any version for that matter). Getting the below error. Was a solution ever found? I originally thought that since I was using the integrated database, I couldn't upgrade the hyperic server, period, but upon further digging, that appears to not be the case. I originally was trying to go from 4.6 to 5.8.1, and ended up completely deleting and installing a new instance. Now that I'm attempting to install 5.8.2 I'd like to avoid that. Does anyone have any ideas on the below error?

Copying server libs...

Setting up server database...

Setting up JDBC driver...

FATAL EXCEPTION at c:\hyperic-hq-installer-5.8.2\installer\data\setup.xml:559: :

The following error occurred while executing this line:

c:\hyperic-hq-installer-5.8.2\installer\data\setup.xml:576: The following error

occurred while executing this line:

c:\hyperic-hq-installer-5.8.2\installer\data\setup.xml:843: The following error

occurred while executing this line:

c:\hyperic-hq-installer-5.8.2\installer\data\setup-db-PostgreSQL.xml:86: Upgradi

ng Hyperic server that uses the embedded database is not supported.

0 Kudos
indecisiv
Contributor
Contributor

I gave up, installed postgre seperately.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

According to documentation the upgrade process in windows is supported also in built-in DB:
http://pubs.vmware.com/hyperic-58/topic/com.vmware.hyperic.install.config.doc/GUID-46A9BD75-8AF1-4B3...

0 Kudos