VMware Cloud Community
das_oracle2001
Contributor
Contributor

HQ 3.0.3 Open Source Edition - Alert Question

Hello,

I installed the HQ 3.0.3 Open Source Edition and it seems working 😉
The only thing what I can't find is how could I create a global Alert.
What I mean is I would setup an alert for Filesystem mount, if a Filesystem usage is more than 80 % I would raise an alert. We have more than 40 Servers and it needs a lot of time to configure fore each server, each mountpoint an alert.

is global alert possible?

Regards

Axel
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Aelix
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Axel,

They call this "Alert Policies" and its only available in the Enterprise edition. In this thread they mentioned this may be added to the open source version in the near future.

I keep checking back every week to see if that feature gets added to the open source version, so I can replace our Zabbix system with Hyperic. 🙂
0 Kudos
das_oracle2001
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer. If we have not the possibility for grouping alerts in version 3 (john wrote in version 3 it could be available) than it's not a good solution for us, that would be one of the biggest things for us. I don't know should I spent time for futher tests or have a look for other tools like groundwork.
0 Kudos
jduino
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 08:34 -0700, Axel wrote:
> Thanks for your answer. If we have not the possibility for grouping alerts in version 3 (john wrote in version 3 it could be available) than it's not a good solution for us, that would be one of the biggest things for us. I don't know should I spent time for futher tests or have a look for other tools like groundwork.
It's possible in the Enterprise version. You can eval the professional
if you want to try it. Of course, to use it in production you will have
to buy it but it is well worth it. To monitor and maintain that many
servers, especially.

--
John Duino <jduino@aerohead.com>

0 Kudos
jtravis_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hey Axel,

In Hyperic HQ 3.0, you can create alert definitions on groups.

This lets you make alert definitions like:
"If any of the linux platforms in this group becomes unavailable,
notify me"
or
"If more than 30% of my platforms have load > .7, alert me"

This feature is currently available in the enterprise edition, but
may get moved to the Open Source version in a later revision.

-- Jon

On Apr 17, 2007, at 8:34 AM, Axel wrote:

> Thanks for your answer. If we have not the possibility for grouping
> alerts in version 3 (john wrote in version 3 it could be available)
> than it's not a good solution for us, that would be one of the
> biggest things for us. I don't know should I spent time for futher
> tests or have a look for other tools like groundwork.
>

0 Kudos
das_oracle2001
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Jon,

I read it would be available in the Enterprise Edition and perphaps it would be integrated into Open Source Edition, but there is no timeframe for this. I understand the intention of Hyperic to keep some features only in Enterprise Edition, but that means that the opensource Edition is features limited and not really usuable for us. I hope groupe alerting and so on will be included in future versions .. Now I will check some other tools like nagios, groundwork, zabbix and pephaps in next major relase of community edition some more features of enterprise edition are integrated.

I will define an alert if more than 90% use of an filesystem is in use, I will got an alert. I don't wanna do this for each server, some of them has 5-10 Mountpoints .. and we have around 40-50 servers. The monitoring software should automatic detect each filesystem and monitor it.

Regards

Axel

Message was edited by: troubadix2004
0 Kudos
das_oracle2001
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

are there some news about group alerting? latest info what I have is from 3.0.3.

regards

axel
0 Kudos
staceyeschneide
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We have indeed done quite a bit with alerting! For coverage of the new release, the easiest place is to check out http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/DOC/Hyperic+HQ+3.1 for a complete overview of the new features. However, we do not have plans to open source group alerting if that is what you are questioning. The extra automation features in Hyperic HQ Enterprise is the value proposition for selling that product and fueling development across open source and enterprise. These features really help folks save time and money when deploying at scale. If this is an issue - you should really consider talking to Sales. For the modest cost of the software, you will get your ROI in spades in a very short time.
0 Kudos
VoodooZ
Contributor
Contributor

We're in the same boat... Can't start manually adding alerts for each resources...
That's one feature Zenoss was good at... Default monitoring was good and alerting was easy to enable globally..

That's where Hyperic is lacking IMHO... but it does rock when it comes to application support and discovery though...

Just wish I could get find a solution that has a blend of both...
0 Kudos