VMware Cloud Community
jbaptiste_hyper
Contributor
Contributor

HP-UX availability monitor

Hi,

I have installed hyperic 3.0.1 with the server in a linux box and a couple of agents in HP-UX 11.1 boxes. I have a problem with one of the agents, one of them started reporting fine it's availability after installation and I added to the inventory, but after some minutes it started to appear with 0% availability, but all of it's resources are reporting fine, CPU, memory, file systems, etc. I deleted that agent from the inventory and restarted the agent on the HP-UX box and added it again to the inventory. Again it started to appear available for some minutes and then happened the same thing.

Any ideas what could be happening ?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are the system clocks on the HQ server and your HP-UX hosts synchronized? HQ will backfill data points when it has not heard from a resource within a few collections of that metric. Since platform availability is collected every minute, if the systems are more than a few minutes off, you'll see some red dots.

If the clocks are fine, the next place to look is for any errors in the agent log on the HP-UX machine in question.

-Ryan
0 Kudos
jbaptiste_hyper
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!!

Thanks, that was the problem, the HP-UX server was 10 minutes late than the HQ server. However I reviewed the agent logs and found two things I would like to ask about them:

2007-02-23 12:15:17,249 ERROR [ScheduleThread] Invalid Metric requested: Agent monitor 'camMetric.schedule' unknow
n
2007-02-23 12:15:17,257 ERROR [ScheduleThread] Invalid Metric requested: Agent monitor 'camMetric.sender' unknown

What mean this messages?

And:

ERROR [ApacheBinaryInfo] Error running binary '/OAS10g/ins10gr3/product/10.1.3/OracleAS_1/
Apache/Apache/bin/ht': /OAS10g/ins10gr3/product/10.1.3/OracleAS_1/Apache/Apache/bin/ht: not found
java.io.IOException: /OAS10g/ins10gr3/product/10.1.3/OracleAS_1/Apache/Apache/bin/ht: not found

In that server there are to OAS installed, one is a 9.0.4.1 that is running with the same user as the HQ agent and the other one is a 10.1.3 that runs with a different user. The agent is looking for the httpd binary of the 10.1.3 installation for some reason and not the one of the same user and aditionally it's name is getting truncated while looking for it.

Why is the agent seeing this other httpd process and not the one of the 9.0.4.1 installation, and does HQ support at least monitoring of Apache web servers? I know that HQ doesn't support OAS yet, but seeing those messages it seems it can monitor Apache servers.
0 Kudos