VMware Cloud Community
deeboh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Fresh install of 3.0.2 on Mac OS 10.3.9

After many troubles installing 3.0 on my mac i've found an interesting error in starting the embedded PG DB....
from hq-server.sh start I get an error that the built in DB can't start. after digging through logs and shell scripts I tried to start postgres manually and there seems to be a hardcoded path to a lib file that is required but obvisouly won't be in my path.

TeamSOAMac:~/hyperic/server-3.0.2/hqdb/bin daddyD$ ./pg_ctl start
dyld: ./pg_ctl can't open library: /Users/rmorgan/hyperic/pgsql-bin/pgsql/lib/libpq.4.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
Trace/BPT trap
TeamSOAMac:~/hyperic/server-3.0.2/hqdb/bin daddyD$ cd ../..
TeamSOAMac:~/hyperic/server-3.0.2 daddyD$ cd ..
TeamSOAMac:~/hyperic daddyD$ cd server-3.0.2/
TeamSOAMac:~/hyperic/server-3.0.2 daddyD$ find . -name libpq.4.dylib
./hqdb/lib/libpq.4.dylib

II found references to rmorgan in these two files...

abs_top_srcdir = /Users/rmorgan/hyperic/pgsql-bin/postgresql-8.1.2/src/..
configure_args = '--prefix=/Users/rmorgan/hyperic/pgsql-bin/pgsql' '--without-zlib' '--without-readline'

I'm assuming this is why the built in postgres won't start, but i'm too tired to dig any further and my laptop battery is at 3min to detenation.

thanks for your help in advance,

Deeboh
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yeah, it looks like the built-in postgres binaries will only work on 10.4.

I don't know of anyone running on 10.3, most of the developers at Hyperic use 10.4.

That should be the only incompatibility though, so if you follow laullon's instructions on building your own postgres you should be able to get up and running. The only other native piece of code is Sigar, which should work fine on 10.3.

-Ryan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You shouldn't be starting the built-in database in that way. The hq-server.sh startup script will set the appropriate library path and start the database automatically when the HQ server is started.

If you want to start the database without bringing up HQ use the db-*.sh scripts.

-Ryan
0 Kudos
laullon
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I don't use the build-database in Mac OS X, i use the standard postgres installation runs fine.

look at:
http://developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/postgres.html
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

deeboh: can you post what happens when you use hq-server.sh?

Are you using a PPC or Intel Mac?
0 Kudos
deeboh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey guys, thanks for the response and please forgive the lack of details. I was hell bent on figuring out what was wrong and I finally gave in, then posted to this forum.
Ok, Mr Morgan I'm not a huge fan of postgres (ergo i'm not familiar with it), so I was just tracking down exectuables scripts to find out which script started the db, hopefully seeing some error that made sense.

laullon thanks for the tip if all else fails i'll give that a shot.

johnmark i've posted the outputs you requested below. I read a similar post to this regarding the upgrade from 2.7.7-3.0.1 which resulted in having to delete blank or null table entries in the DB to make things work properly. however that was an upgrade, this is a fresh install. i've also posted the contents of the hqdb.log file, but to me the contents aren't that remarkable.

My system is a PowerBook G4 running 10.3.9.

Oh wait, Duh now I see the problem. 10.3.9 is supported.

FARK....

TeamSOAMac:~/hyperic/server-3.0.2/bin daddyD$ sh hq-server.sh start
Starting HQ server...
Initializing HQ server configuration...
Checking jboss jndi port...
Checking jboss mbean port...
Removing stale pid file /Users/daddyD/hyperic/server-3.0.2/hqdb/data/postmaster.pid
Starting HQ built-in database...
HQ built-in database failed to start:
The log file /Users/daddyD/hyperic/server-3.0.2/hqdb/data/hqdb.log may contain further details on why it failed to start.
TeamSOAMac:~/hyperic/server-3.0.2/bin daddyD$

LOG FILE ENTRY
/Users/daddyD/hyperic/server-3.0.2/hqdb/bin/postmaster undefined reference to _getpeereid expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
dyld: /Users/daddyD/hyperic/server-3.0.2/hqdb/bin/postmaster Undefined symbols:
/Users/daddyD/hyperic/server-3.0.2/hqdb/bin/postmaster undefined reference to _getpeereid expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
dyld: /Users/daddyD/hyperic/server-3.0.2/hqdb/bin/postmaster Undefined symbols:

deeboh

Message was edited by: deeboh
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yeah, it looks like the built-in postgres binaries will only work on 10.4.

I don't know of anyone running on 10.3, most of the developers at Hyperic use 10.4.

That should be the only incompatibility though, so if you follow laullon's instructions on building your own postgres you should be able to get up and running. The only other native piece of code is Sigar, which should work fine on 10.3.

-Ryan
0 Kudos
deeboh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Right on dudes. Thanks for all your responses.

l8s,

Deeboh
0 Kudos