VMware Cloud Community
magicduck
Contributor
Contributor

FreeBSD 7.x ports?

Hello,

I really like Hyperic, but the only problem is to make it running on FreeBSD 7.x.

Seems that building from source is a pain, can you make a binary release as you do on Linux and others to run this on FreeBSD?

I can help a bit, but I am a bit new on Java under FreeBSD.
Snincerly
/Xavier
0 Kudos
1 Reply
mike_brown1
Contributor
Contributor

Xavier,

The problem isn't necessarily creating a binary under FreeBSD. From what I understand the OS specific releases just include a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) built for that OS so you don't have to install a separate one. What this means for us FreeBSD users is we have to install a JRE ourself and use one of the -nojre builds. I was able to do this on my FreeBSD server. First I tried to use the Diablo JRE but the Hyperic installer wouldn't run. I then installed linux-sun-jre-1.5 from ports. Running the Hyperic installer script worked and then I just needed to set up a database for it to use (I chose MySQL). After that is where the problems have started though (see this thread: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/352543?tstart=0 ). It has something to do with a file not found, but I don't know if it's looking for a file from in the JRE or a Hyperic file (and I don't know how to figure that out).

Hope that info helps, and let me know if you need help setting up MySQL, I hunted down the commands for creating a DB and user.

Mike

Message was edited by: mike.brown
0 Kudos