VMware Cloud Community
proactis_hyperi
Contributor
Contributor

Exception in thread main / Windows 2000 Server

When I launch hq-agent.bat setup, I get the following error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: \bin\java

I'm using the HQEE trial windows agent package from the download site. JRE is bundled.

Anyone have any ideas of what I could try to resolve this?

I'm running as a service (already ran hq-agent.bat install), and the service is running fine, I just can't configure it.

Windows 2000 Server
0 Kudos
12 Replies
jvalkeal_hyperi

I'll see where the error is coming from. There is a variable which stores java location withing bundled jre.

Are you in position to tell what is your HQ installation path? I believe there is something weird in that path and this '\bin\java' is interpreted as command argument. These errors comes so early that there may not be anything usable in agent logs, but you could check it. Maybe it gives some hint.
0 Kudos
proactis_hyperi
Contributor
Contributor

Installation path is C:\Program Files\hyperic-hq-agent-4.0.3-EE\

The log file doesn't seem to show anything useful.

I'm using that same path in another installation and it's working fine. Let me know if you have any more questions.

- Chris
0 Kudos
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

could you please compare the JAVA_HOME environment variable on both systems ?

Cheers,
Mirko
0 Kudos
bewA
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

Im getting the same problem. I'm only getting it on my only two Windows 2000 Servers.
Although i'm using the OpenSource version and downloaded the HQ Agent separately for Windows.

I thought the problem might be to do with the installation of Java so i've been to the website to update it.
is there a way to update the agent configuration manually?

I've copied the exact same folder to my Windows 2003 and that installed without a problem.
0 Kudos
brian_mcdonald
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like bundles\agent-4.x.x-xxx\bin\hq-agent.bat has a problem with quotes on Windows 2000. It's attempting to execute

"C:\Program Files\hyperic-hq-agent-4.0.3\bundles\agent-4.0.3-953\bin\..\..\..\jre"\bin\java

Which, due to the braindead quote handling on cmd.exe in Win2k, blows up. The following changes fix it for Windows 2000, but I haven't tested these on anything else:

--- hq-agent.bat.orig 2009-02-17 22:24:31.000000000 -0500
+++ hq-agent.bat 2009-02-17 22:24:59.000000000 -0500
@@ -28,7 +28,7 @@
if not "%HQ_JAVA_HOME%"=="" goto gothqjava

if EXIST "%AGENT_INSTALL_HOME%\jre" (
- set HQ_JAVA_HOME="%AGENT_INSTALL_HOME%\jre"
+ set HQ_JAVA_HOME=%AGENT_INSTALL_HOME%\jre
goto gotjava
)

@@ -41,7 +41,7 @@
echo HQ_JAVA_HOME must be set to a valid directory
goto :eof
) else (
- set HQ_JAVA_HOME="%HQ_JAVA_HOME%"
+ set HQ_JAVA_HOME=%HQ_JAVA_HOME%
)

:gotjava
@@ -99,7 +99,7 @@

set CLIENT_CLASS=org.hyperic.hq.bizapp.agent.client.AgentClient

-set CLIENT_CMD=%HQ_JAVA_HOME%\bin\java -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -D%AGEN _INSTALL_HOME_PROP%="%AGENT_INSTALL_HOME%" -D%AGENT_BUNDLE_HOME_PROP%="%AGENT_B NDLE_HOME%" -cp "%CLIENT_CLASSPATH%" %CLIENT_CLASS%
+set CLIENT_CMD="%HQ_JAVA_HOME%\bin\java" -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -D%AG NT_INSTALL_HOME_PROP%="%AGENT_INSTALL_HOME%" -D%AGENT_BUNDLE_HOME_PROP%="%AGENT BUNDLE_HOME%" -cp "%CLIENT_CLASSPATH%" %CLIENT_CLASS%

set PING_CMD=%CLIENT_CMD% ping
set SETUP_CMD=%CLIENT_CMD% setup

In case the forum eats the patch format, you're just removing the quotes from HQ_JAVA_HOME and putting them around the whole executable path when CLIENT_CMD is defined.
0 Kudos
vodyanoi
Contributor
Contributor

Just a little note

I have tried this and it works, however I took the lazy route and just cut and pasted the changes.

there seem to be a couple of typo's in the last change. the first is the first
-D%AG NT_INSTALL which should read -D%AGENT_INSTALL
the second is due to a line cut a _ is missing in the last AGENT_BUNDLE

it should read
+set CLIENT_CMD="%HQ_JAVA_HOME%\bin\java" -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -D%AGENT_INSTALL_HOME_PROP%="%AGENT_INSTALL_HOME%" -D%AGENT_BUNDLE_HOME_PROP%="%AGENT_BUNDLE_HOME%" -cp "%CLIENT_CLASSPATH%" %CLIENT_CLASS%

regards

Spencer
0 Kudos
DodRocket
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I have the same problem when I want to execute hq-agent.bat start on my win2000.

Could you please show me where exactly did I have to set those code?

Regards dodRocket
0 Kudos
DodRocket
Contributor
Contributor

Hi
It works perfectly, thank you. I'm wondering if it works also for win nt4?

Regards.
0 Kudos
JupiterAce
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have been having this exact issue, however I copied and pasted as above but cannot seem to get it right. are you able to post the complete script for me?
0 Kudos
DodRocket
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Just follow your code and replace them with :

1 - set HQ_JAVA_HOME=%AGENT_INSTALL_HOME%\jre
goto gotjava

2 - set HQ_JAVA_HOME=%HQ_JAVA_HOME%

3 - set CLIENT_CMD="%HQ_JAVA_HOME%\bin\java" -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -D%AG NT_INSTALL_HOME_PROP%="%AGENT_INSTALL_HOME%" -D%AGENT_BUNDLE_HOME_PROP%="%AGENT BUNDLE_HOME%" -cp "%CLIENT_CLASSPATH%" %CLIENT_CLASS%

Regards
0 Kudos
JupiterAce
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks very much for the reply, will gove it another go .
0 Kudos
bjchip_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

With a 2003 server there is another problem in wrapper.conf

I have never sussed out a proper way to get it to accept the HQ_JAVA_HOME setting, it invariably assumes the default even when it clearly knows better everywhere else. I have taken to setting the default to be where my HQ_JAVA_HOME is, which works.

Brain dead was the idea of putting spaces in a directory name in the first place.

BJ
0 Kudos