VMware Cloud Community
delgaty
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error sending measurements: Unable to contact server

I have been running Hyperic for about 2 months now pretty smoothly. Recently however, I have been seeing this error on many of my client servers:

ERROR [SenderThread] Error sending measurements: Unable to contact server -- it has no more free connections

I cannot identify which "connection" is causing the problem. I have upped connections in the built-in postgres db as well as the connection pool for the jboss service. None of these modifications seem to alleviate my problem....please help.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How many agents are you currently running with, and how busy is the HQ server?

In this case, the agent is trying to send back it's measurements, but the server is currently busy processing reports from other agents. The agent should recover from this situation, as long as other agents complete their send of data and free up a connection.

If your environment is large, you may need to modify the number of incoming agent connections that are allowed. By default this value is set to 25. You can find this setting in:

server-2.7.3/hq-engine/server/default/deploy/lather-jboss.sar/jboss-lather.war/WEB-INF/web.xml

Look for the org.hyperic.lather.maxConns parameter.

Depending on how high you set this value, you may also need to up the number of database connections that you allow to the built-in database.

-Ryan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How many agents are you currently running with, and how busy is the HQ server?

In this case, the agent is trying to send back it's measurements, but the server is currently busy processing reports from other agents. The agent should recover from this situation, as long as other agents complete their send of data and free up a connection.

If your environment is large, you may need to modify the number of incoming agent connections that are allowed. By default this value is set to 25. You can find this setting in:

server-2.7.3/hq-engine/server/default/deploy/lather-jboss.sar/jboss-lather.war/WEB-INF/web.xml

Look for the org.hyperic.lather.maxConns parameter.

Depending on how high you set this value, you may also need to up the number of database connections that you allow to the built-in database.

-Ryan
0 Kudos
delgaty
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That did the trick. Thanks.
0 Kudos