VMware Cloud Community
mlantz
Contributor
Contributor

Effective Debugging Practices - Agents vs Central Server

Greetings all,

I'm relatively new to Hyperic and have been impressed overall so far by what is capable with this tool. I am managing agents across many servers with different hardware architecture, operating systems, software, etc. Based on this particular setup I'm trying to come up with best practices to troubleshoot agent reporting or other general issues across agents and our central hyperic server.

I'll provide some context on what I currently do for Agents and the Central Hyperic server:

Current debugging method used on each Agent:

Due to the differences in security and processes for different servers that host agents, I'm having a difficult time consolidating all of the agent's logs to easily troubleshoot and resolve issues. I typically require logging onto each server, copying each log on a per request basis. I've been looking through the Hyperic documentation and forums to see if there is a way to access logs centrally without logging on to each server (ie: Settings within HQ, Custom Plugin, Added functionality in custom bundle). I haven't had much luck in this regard.

Current debugging method used on Central Server:

I had a need to troubleshoot the Hyperic API at a certain point. I was able to configure the server to allow remote debugging based on the following thread.

Re: Attaching Remote Debugger to Hyperic Server

Although the stack traces in the server log provided a helpful starting point I found stepping into code to be the most helpful method for debugging. I'm interested on anything similar that can be done on each individual agent to find what sequence of events is triggering many of the errors we are experiencing.

If anyone has had a similar need and found effective methods or has approached debugging issues using a completely different approach I'd be extremely interested to hear their approach.

1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

If you would like to Debug an agent:

edit wrapper.conf file which located in {agent}/conf/wrapper.conf

Add the following lines:

wrapper.java.additional.7=-Xdebug

wrapper.java.additional.8=-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,address=8998,suspend=n

wrapper.java.detect_debug_jvm=TRUE

wrapper.debug

restart the agent.

In your eclipse add remote debug with port 8998

Yaron