VMware Cloud Community
chris_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3 and agent

Hi, all

I use Hyperic under Linux and I would like to monitor a VMWARE ESX server.

The agent is installed but I cannot discover VMWARE ESX (linux version) because the authentification failed as you can see in the log agent below.

All ports are opened, the firewall inside ESX is disabled.

I use a dedicated account : hyperic to run the hyperic agent and this account has been added in Virtual Center as Administrator for this ESX server ( not for the datacenter object ).

I don't know what I can do more and I will appreciate your advices.

Thanks by advance.
Regards.

Log :

2007-01-10 19:22:54,002 INFO [AgentDaemon] Agent started successfully
2007-01-10 19:22:54,366 INFO [VMwareDetector] Unable to get VMware product info
org.hyperic.sigar.vmware.VMwareException: Invalid arguments: Login failed.
at org.hyperic.sigar.vmware.VMwareServer.connect(Native Method)
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.vmware.VMwareProductInfo.getProductInfo(VMwareProductInfo.java:73)
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.vmware.VMwareProductInfo.getInfo(VMwareProductInfo.java:58)
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.vmware.VMwareDetector.getProductInfo(VMwareDetector.java:165)
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.vmware.VMwareDetector.getLinuxServer(VMwareDetector.java:251)
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.vmware.VMwareDetector.getServerResources(VMwareDetector.java:145)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.scanimpl.NullScan.scan(NullScan.java:83)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.Scanner.start(Scanner.java:196)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.ScanManager.mainRunLoop(ScanManager.java:141)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.ScanManager.access$000(ScanManager.java:41)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.ScanManager$1.run(ScanManager.java:107)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
cwitt_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I do not yet have a running instance of Virtual Center, so do not know the impact of adding a user account as an Administrator for a server through this interface. Where I have had success is in adding the agent dedicated user account to the Administrator Role on the Permissions tab of the ESX Server through the Virtual Infrastructure Client. I'm not completely sure, but I believe this is the same as adding the permissions directly to what you called the datacenter object.

I will endeavor to get Virtual Center up and running to see if there a better configuration option in this useage scenario. In the meantime, you may want to try the permissions configuration using the Virtual Infrastructure Client to insure the trouble you are having is not related to a different issue.
0 Kudos
cwitt_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It appears my assumption was correct. When you select any given object within Virtual Center, you are presented with the same Permissions tab for that object that is available using the Virtual Infrastructure Client. The appropriate permissions (Administrtor Role) need to be applied to the ESX Server object for the user account you intend to have run the HQ agent.

Apparently, the Administrator permissions you assigned within Virtual Center only apply to access to the objects through Virtual Center, not to accessing the objects directly. Please correct me if you find this is not true.
0 Kudos
chris_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

Thanks for your answer.

In fact, when you try to add some account from Virtual Center connection, you can see only Windows accounts but not Unix account and in particular the account used by the installed agent on ESX server under Linux.

I must to create a direct connection to ESX server and I can not use Virtual Center and its Permission tab. The problem is solved.

Now, I can see all Virtual machines installed on the ESX server with :
- VM Cpu Used per Minute, .
- VM Memory Size
- VM Memory Swapped
- Availability

Do you know if I can get more data coming : Baloon and unreserved memory, CPU used , this kind of information is important when your ESX server is charged ....

In fact, I would like to see a part of what I can see the Performance Tab with virtual Infrastructure Client but integrated in HQ Web pages .

Thanks
Regards.

Chris.
0 Kudos
cwitt_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Glad you got it working.

You can see more details about what data you can collect through HQ by viewing the resource hierarchy pages in the docs (http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/DOCSHQ27/VMware). It looks like HQ is calling balloon and unreserved memory by other names, but there are additional memory metrics that can be collected, both at the ESX server resource level, and at the VM service resource level. I know for sure CPU used is available at both levels. Have a look, and let me know if this does not answer your question.

Cheers.
0 Kudos